1978 ? DT250 timing

Mbeam
This post is 3352 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My dilemma .Im working on my DT250 and from what I can tell its an E model ( 1978 ) and Im working from a Clymer M412 manual . To begin with the bike was stolen but was recovered a few years ago in a non running condition . I've cleaned the fuel system out to where I think it should at least fire but dosent so ignition is my next step ( spark looks poor ) . It appears that the ignition was monkied with , nicks on the coil windings and a striped locking screw on the points , the stripped screw wont be a problem but Im hoping the coils are not shorted I don't have an ohm's meter scale that reads that low of a resistance . My problem is that I don't know what the measurement from TDC exactly is for the points to begin to open . It tells me to turn the flywheel clockwise 4 turns ( of the indicator I assume ) then counterclockwise .12 inches ( again of the indicator I assume ) . now my indicator is .1 per. rev. and is homemade , is the Yamaha gauge the same per rev because it could be something other . Per my thinking the setting should be .4 - .12 = a setting of .28 BTDC and if it is Ill have to get a longer tip for my indicator cause Im only able to read about .2 travel .Any enlightenment will be approbated .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi m/beam,  your talking inches . so I presume your in the states,  the timing is 3.2mm btdc,  the points gap is 0.3-.04 mm ,

you can make a dial guage  out of an old spark plug , cut the centre out,   u/tube vid   shows how,,

Thank's blackhat . I did finally figure it out yesterday , it was when the manual was telling me to turn the flywheel counterclockwise 4 turns that was confusing me .I got it to run this morning but it has no power coming off idle . I tried adjusting the pilot air screw as described in the manual but it had no effect . I am guessing I still have a problem with the carburetor . I know the slot in the screw is tore up so no telling what may be buggered up . Odd though that it idles reasonably well with a air pilot issue . I'll have to figure out what rebuild kit I need for it and take a closer look at the air pilot passages . BTW take a look at my introduction , it was actually easer for me to make the gauge holder and flywheel puller from scratch , less than a hour each .

cheers 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online