Dtmx 125 lacks power only on load

gary09
This post is 3357 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anybody help please. I have a 1990 DTMX 125 and live in France. It is the old air cooled 6 volt electrics type manufactured mainly in the 70's. It is a 1990 as they were re introduced but with electronic ignition in France for a couple of years. The bike has symptoms almost like dirt in the carb. It revs freely and will hit the red line in 6th on the flat or with a tail wind. Starting is no problem. However into a headwind or a climb on full throttle but mid range revs it misses subtly and lacks power. Almost losing half it power. I have stripped and cleaned the carb several times. Checked adequate flow from the fuel tap, tried another plug and plug cap and another ignition coil. When it has this power loss you can drop a couple of gears and it will happily redline but bog down again jerking and feeling like fuel starvation even at 5-6 thousand revs as soon as you get into 5th or 6th in the 'load situation'. I have also tried moving the needle up and down by two notches on the carb piston but again no effect. Any help woukd be appreciated I love this old bike but it is driving me nuts!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Mileage?

Do you know the last time it had a top end check?

Thanks for all the ideas guys, I have found the problem. On removing the flywheel/ generator cover about 1/2 a cup of water came out! The various coils and the pulser coil were dripping. All now wsshed out with wd40 then dried. Now she is flying again.  

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online