New member, taking the DT to France

This post is 3367 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, well, I've had Honda's, SS50, rubbish, CBs200,3x250,550,750, Suzy's GTs125,185,500, GS750.         OK I'm bored now! The gist is, like you I've had loads of bikes, and now I find myself buying a DT175,why? Well I've never had one but always admired them. And it fits in the motorhome! Just. So far I'm just checking and improving things as I go, main problem? Carrying me and the wife on a spindly spring mono shock , hopefully there's a mod ? Dave( West Yorkshire)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Spindly spring?

Not likely, unless its cream crackerd just wind up the preload (need to take it out to do it) and unless you or your good lady are packing a lot of spare it will be fine.

Aha "  wessiedave "  [ KH500]   That goes to squires  2 T  day,,,howdee ,:welcome:,   your not that heavy dave, :rolleyes:,   my mates did round north of Scotland -2up wi  camping gear [ TS185],  no probs , in 1977  , NO RECOVERY cover either, 

Preload ! Didn't realise there was any more than the the (5?) position c spanner adjuster, do you guys mean wind down the spring seat ? Im guessing there's no damping adjustment ? 

Hi Blackhat, thought it was a different guy cos you've registered in different counties, or are you undercover ? Oops!

• Like 1

Hi Blackhat, thought it was a different guy cos you've registered in different counties, or are you undercover ? Oops!

Undercover dave ,   looking for  Triple defectors...and report back to Her Wolfie,,,B),

Were at squires from Friday,,, [ fs1e  rally ] :headbang:

Preload ! Didn't realise there was any more than the the (5?) position c spanner adjuster, do you guys mean wind down the spring seat ? Im guessing there's no damping adjustment ? 

That's what preload is...?

Anyho, if you really need it a bodge back in the day was to drill the hole for the top shock bolt further down the frame. Doing it properly would need a couple of washers/spacers welding to the frame to strengthen the holes to take the forces properly.

Only needs moving a bit, an inch at most. That will give 2-3in lift. It does lift the rear nicely. Can have a negative effect on chain run, namely the top guide on the sw arm and makes the steering faster, sometimes twitchy.

Thanks for the tip, I've got a spare shock with the screw thread type preload ( rather than stepped) so I'll wind it up full and then decide if it's enough.

sorry Blackhat, I'm out watching some local bands tonight, that'll be a sight.

Before you get too carried away check the bottom shock mount on the shock.

There are 2 different sizes. 1 fits the round sw arm. 1 fits the square.

Oh ! Thanks for that. I'll check before I get excited.

OK, removed the shock ( box section arm) and its half inch shorter than the spare.( different bottom end!) The spring is 3/8" shorter than the spare, so, I can put the spare spring on and gain a little bit or ( shorten) cut the spare shock bottom tube and it might just fit ! Thanks, it looks like a plan, cheers, Dave

Edited by Wessie34

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online