1982 XS250 PROJECT

JaySav
This post is 3377 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

I've recently acquired a 1982 Yamaha XS250 (YICS) basket case project

I'm looking at partially restoring it and turning it into a café racer/bobber style of bike

If anyone has any prior knowledge of these bikes your help would be greatly appreciated along the way

Before:

After:

Edited by JaySav

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have the 400 x2 the're the same but not as rare as the 250, think they were only released in oz and maybe japan

just noticed you haven't put a post in new members section, I'd pop one in before the the hail of abuse start's  :wacko:

Hi jay "  its a later model than I remember,  I mind the coffin tank XS 1970"s,   dead slow motors,  2 strokes were king back then,

Thanks for the replies, I'm from Australia and unlike you the XS400's are quite rare here haha
Two very nice looking bikes you have there though Tommy, how do you go finding parts for your particular bikes?
I'm having trouble chasing a wiring loom for mine as it is missing

I've heard they are quite a slow/un-reliable bike but this was too cheap to refuse, apparently it's a runner but we'll soon find out :)

Well I find most of what I'm looking for I find on ebay, they are getting harder to find and you may have more luck on the us ebay,  seca 400 is the dohc xs400  over there and most parts should fit your 

I do have a spare untested wiring loom which you could have for free but I think the postage would be steep. never found my 400 to be slow or unreliable and have owned one of them from new. The only real problem is the CDI which is mounted behind the left side panel & is prone to getting wet,well it is the the uk anyway would imagine one would  be really hard to find for the 250 always good to have a spare if pos as they do tend to fail after about 30 years, engine is petty bullet proof most of the wear & tear parts are available on ebay  german ebay seems to have more parts which is were I get a lot of bits from over their its known as the xs400 12e 

good luck with your project, look forward to seeing it finished 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online