carb set up

mgs4
This post is 3310 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

is there default settings on mixture and idle screw, i can get the bike started takes a while but i have to keep the revs up. from what i heard mixture screw is all the way in and 2.5 turns out and no clue on idle, can anybody step me through on how to set it up just to get it running i have tuned carbs before but not on a 2 stroke and they have allways ran just fine tweaks

any help would be a great help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Screw the air screw all the way in until it is lightly seated then back out 1.5 turns out and this will give you the default setting. There is no setting for the idle/throttle stop screw as you just screw in or out until you get the correct idle speed. If you still can't get it to tickover by doing the above it may be the pilot jet is blocked and requires the carb stripping and pilot jet blowing out.

Tony

• Like 1

hi, i did as you said, it wont start unless throttle is wide open and a squirt of easy start, wont run without hand on throttle, idle screw does not seem to make a difference, stripped it down it has a 240 jet in it and the pilot is clear i can see light through it. its also very smokey im wondering if it the throttle cable incorrectly set up

any opinions please anyone

The choke aint working then, and if it don't idle, then the idle screw must be the wrong one, [ if it does nowt] take it out, check it, take off carb -and looking thru from rear, screw idle screw in, it should lift the slide, , get that pilot out , it cant be clear,

The choke well [ in float bowl, ] needs cleared, blast it thru, should see fluid come thru small hole