dt 125r fork oil

This post is 3269 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This weekend doing fork seals, dust covers and cleaning all the fork internals(yep know there's not a lot inside them), am going to use 15w oil instead of standard 10w oil, normally the forks take 495ml of oil si due to the new oil being a bit thicker I was thinking that I would put about 450ml, does this sound about right or should I go more or less than 450ml ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The oil should be the same amount no matter the weight of the oil or you run the risk of having the valves pumping air instead of oil. 15W oil is only 5 over the recommended standard so not putting as much in will make no difference at all.

Why use thicker oil, will make no difference to the forks on a DT.

The difference you feel will be from it just being new oil.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys, I read about putting slightly thicker oil in the forks on here as it could possibly stiffen the forks slightly and seeing as my dt is only used for pottering around my local area and not used off-road at all (I'm a mid 50's grandad), thought that thicker oil would be ok but you would need to put less in than the 495ml normally needed but if the same amount should be put in and it won't burst the seals then so be it thats what i shall do

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online