gear shift/high revs issue

hijinx1
This post is 3335 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm new to biking and have a ybr 125 custom (2014). Since it came back from having a problem rectified where when I beaked it fried the fuse - I've been having an intermittent problem where I have been riding for a while at varying speeds and have to brake to complete stop. As I try to go down the gears, the gear shift doesn't seem to work and sounds like revs are stuck even though I'm off the throttle!

As a newbie it's freaked me out a bit so had to pull to side of road and ler bike stall before I can get gears to drop down and obviously the revs return to normal.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok, first of all "this is NOT a car" you can't just change gear like you do in most other forms of transport, with bikes you need to be aware that they need to be moving, if only slightly, to get them into gear, what you do is, pull the clutch in move the bike forward or backward as you pull in the clutch and select a gear, this will mean that if your in the "wrong" gear when you stop you will have to faff about trying to find the right gear from a standstill, not always easy and can make you look a total prat , but that's how it works. So even if you have to slam your anchors on try to remember to change down as well, not always easy but doable if you have enough practice, as your new to the biking world you only get to know about how your bike works by reading the manual and asking questions, you can't ask daft questions cos it's all new to you. try to be more aware of your surroundings and read the road in front of you, this way you can anticipate the traffic and avoid this problem. Don't worry and get freaked out by this, it all comes together with practice. Stay safe.

If you find yourself in say 3rd gear and stuck just rock the bike backwards and forwards as you press the gear change down with the clutch pulled in and let the clutch just bite as you select each gear, then as it bites pull the lever back again to go down another gear. Find a place that's safe and do it on purpose that way when it happens "for real" you will be ready and won't look a dick.

• Like 2

Hi there ! Welcome to motorcycling . The fact that your bike is revving it's nuts off would lead me to check a few simple things . Throttle cable for starters , is it properly adjusted / routed / lubricated and in good nick or is it frayed / dry / sticking or routed arseways ? Having checked that I'd check the throttle valve in the carburettor just to make sure it hasn't been replaced backwards . Then check the airbox , make sure it has the right (clean ) filter and make sure it seals properly as air leaks will make the engine race at idle , as will any air leak between the airbox / carb and cylinder head . The cable only takes a minute to check , as does the carb and the airbox just a few more , depending on what you have to remove to get to it . If you're unsure just don't do anything drastic until you can ask someone . Best of luck and happy fettling , Good advice above also , especially the safety bit .

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online