Yamaha Seca xs400j... Need help

Guitar618
This post is 3337 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, I am a new to this forum. I have been racking my brain with this.

Here is my dilemma:

I just bought a Yamaha Seca xm400j. My problem is 2 fold. I am having an issue finding a new gas tank for it, either used, oem, or aftermarket. The tank has a hole in the right side that the previous owner fixed with JB Weld, and it looks shotty at best. Holds fuel but cosmetically unappealing.

I am also having a problem with the charging system. A new battery was installed after sitting all winter, but the bike will not charge the battery. Stator is good, and a new regulator was installed. Anyone else out there have this problem or know of anything else that might help?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cant help with the tank, just keep looking, unless you can find someone to cut out the damaged section and weld a piece in

You need to check what voltage the bike is giving out. Im guessing it needs to be 13volts to 14.5 volts to the battery. Youll need a multi meter with the engine running at approx 3k rpm

An intro in the New Members area may result in additiional assistance

Thanks, yeah I think I am going to just try to fix the tank. I did check the battery while running and it reads @12.5 at 3000 rpm. Going to try to clean all of the connections to see if that helps. I read that corrosion on the connections can cause resistance, so I will try that today. Also going to check the ground. I have heard that it is a common issue with them. Fingers crossed!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I checked the stator and it checks out okay. The rectifier is brand new, but I checked it just in case and it passed. Charged the battery up to a full charge (@12.5v). In checking the voltage to the brushes I found that my green lead (negative) is sending @10.55v which doesn't sound right. and the brown (positive) is sending @11.5v. This can't be right.

Had a similar problem on mine turned out to be the wires coming from the pickup coils were oil soaked and needed replacing

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online