Dragstar passing lights.

sunsprie
This post is 3334 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks. I was told here that I should not use the passing lights (right name?) on my dragstar as it will kill the battery, I am wondering is there anything I can do to be able to use them without this happening?

I frequently use a long country road at night and the extra light would help and it feels safer having them, a lot of crazy car drivers on that road. I'd really love to use these lights but don't wanna mess the battery up or get stranded.

Thanks

Heading to bed now so if I don't reply I'm not being a dick and will back to you in the morning :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi mate, in that case you'll have to upgrade your stator/generator. You will have to do this eventually anyway, as the OEM stators on the dragstars tend to fail somewhere between 35-50k miles. Yours being an older bike, it may be sooner. However, it's not exactly cheap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XVS650-Drag-Star-1997-2003-Generator-Stator-8111599-/360843252997?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item5403ef1505

£140 for the Electrosport stator plus the labour to get it fitted. I wouldn't try doing it yourself, unless you have a very well equipped garage/shed! My mechanic told me it was a bastard to do, mainly because of the problems threading the cable loom through the bike, necessitating undoing the rear monoshock. He charged me 2hrs labour, and I think he underchared me to be honest (when I popped in to see how things were progressing, there were 3 mechanics sweating and swearing to fit the cable through!).

Another option might be to replace your passing lights with LED ones which consume less power. Or perhaps you could do both.

• Like 1

Thanks mate for the detailed answer, I'm a complete novice at working on a bike so i for sure won't be trying it myself.

It's dear enough but luckily I know a decent mechanic who is a friend somewhat. Although if you had 3 mechanics sweating over it I dread to see what he will be like. I'll maybe wait until around the time it needs changed and try the led lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Who's Online (See full list)