Stiffening saddlebag edges?

EazyDuz
This post is 3264 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi.

I got some new saddlebags but they are already starting to sag. What happens is the front side collapses inwards which makes the bottom bow down slightly getting closer to the pipe.

I put a stick of wood just under the front edge, pulling the saddlebag wide which solved the problem, but it looks stupid and falls out of place.

Therefore im looking for something i can just clip/slide into place on the lip of the bag to keep it rigid, but can also be removed when the bags need to be heavily loaded for camping etc, where the lip can sag outwards for more space.

Something like this:

There should be a lot of products out there that can do the job but for the life of me i cant think of anything. I found this stuff but it would bend too much, if it was rigid it would be fine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Black-Car-EDGE-TRIM-SEAL-Interior-Exterior-PVC-Rubber-Van-Boat-Truck-/121628637512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c51a1b948

Any ideas would be greately appreciated.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On mine I used fibre board (not card board) the heavier stuff and cut it to shape so it would not move about to much, you could even glue it in place with no real weight gain.

• 3 weeks later...

For my saddlebags, I used some thick foam, like and inch thick, measured the front back and bottom, cut a bit of foam that length, scored it, bent it and put it in and now they're stiff :)

Could try some of those plastic slip-on paper binders...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online