advice on chhosing a bike please

This post is 3460 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all, i'm planning a 6 month van touring trip of the US and will put a dual sport bike on the back of the van for local trips, etc. i'll be camped in some wilderness areas so need some light off road ability and also plan to drive into town for shopping.

i like the xt225 and have seen 3 bikes here for sale:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/mca?autoMakeModel=xt225
the 2, 2006 and the 2007 all of which look nice

i am thinking $2500 max for the 2007 and $2000 for the 2006 with 11000 miles.

any thoughts on these bikes? anything i should be on the look out for? how is the price on these?

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Steve, can I say it's pretty brave of you to ask total strangers what bike to buy, not to put to fine a point on it we know nothing about you nor you us. Your best bet is to look up the bikes your looking at and read the test data that's available, usually these include any faults and good/bad points that the tester has found with the bike. Then it's down to aesthetics and what you like, colour and so on, take it out for a test ride and see if it suits you, other than that no one can say what bike suits you or your situation, with the best will in the world you might be 30 stone or 10 stone 6 feet tall or 4ft 6inches and all these things matter when it comes to buying a bike, the salesman/woman should if they have any sense at all tell you what might suit your budget and needs, one thing tho don't buy the biggest bike just cos it's big buy a bike that fit's on the back of your bus not one that lifts the front wheels off of the road. Other than that enjoy your trip and ride safe. :jossun:

One other thing, if you have never owned a bike before buy from a dealer not some guy you met in a bar or from an advert in Craigs list, that way you have the backing of a guarantee that the bike will not chuck oil or fluid out over the road 10 miles down the track.

i've owned loads of bikes, riden them for over 35 years. i have 3 bikes right now.

i wasn't really asking if the xt225 is right for me, i already decided on that, just wondered if there are any known mechanical issues i should be especially aware of. and if those prices look resonable.

Ah Ok sorry you didn't say that in your question so how was I supposed to know? So if you have already decided then good luck, you might be better to ask on a specifically USA site about the price for these bikes as most of the folks on here are from the UK - Australia - Canada and various other nations there aren't many from your side of the pond, it's not that we're not interested it's just that we can't tell you what a good price in the US might be. Hope you find the info your looking for and as an aside in your personal info you have only listed an XT225 NOT the other 3 bikes you already have so no one will know what your skill level is nor will they be able to say what bike suits you if you don't give the info about yourself, that is not a criticism just an observation people can only act on what they know or what you tell them, again good luck on your trip.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online