Back brake seized after adjusting chain [YBR]

captf
This post is 3471 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK, somehow - I have no idea how - I've got the back brake to seize on after I adjusted the back wheel for a slack chain on my YBR.

It's a drum brake, with a rod and even with that dialed down so loose that the nut isn't even applying any tightness.

I thought it may have been because of the torque arm - but I can't seem to make any adjustments on that, or am I missing something?

[And this is why I shouldn't attempt maintenance myself...]

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

might be just locked in there, I think that was what Paul was saying.

maybe the chain is too worn. Can you pull more than 1/2 link actually when its on the rear sprocket?

has the brake lever dropped because return spring come undone?

I am actually not sure to any of those at the moment. [Just as well I was planning to take public transport tomorrow (: ]

With the light gone, and no decent light at the back, it was hard to properly have a look at anything.

The brake was fine before I messed around with the wheel, so I guess I'm wondering how moving it causes it to affect the brake. Both the Haynes and service manual don't seem to mention any special concerns [aside from loosening the brake]

I may try and put it back as it was, and redo it

no probs, battery is still charging and optimate says there's no sulphating so it may just need a good charge :)

The rear brake cam will be seizing . you ride in the salt , and its sat for a week , take the adusting nut off , pull the lever back and forth,

if its stiff ,you might get away with WD40 ,,,,

you've got a Haynes manual its a good time to get your hands dirty, get the back wheel off, pull off the brake & give it a good clean. your gonna have to start somewhere and at least its not your new bike. plenty of help on here and if I ever get stuck I look it up on youtube 9 out of ten time someone has posted a vid on how to do it.

I hope it doesn't come to stripping the wheel down, and instead is just loosening something easier.

I don't think the internals have seized - I was using the bike yesterday and the day before, and the brake was previously feeling a bit loose.

I shall report back what further damage I do to it tonight :D

edit: and of course, mucho thanks to Drewpy for the battery assist. Really gonna have to get myself an optimate next pay day. [better safe than sorry again]

Looks like the back pedal isn't returning to position, so it's engaged the entire time...

I can shift it back up, but pressing it won't return.

As far as I can tell, the return spring is still OK though. Which makes me think it could be "wheel off" time :/

Aye its seized then, scoot WD on the leaver pivot, , it micht be that,,,not the brake cam,,,

I've just been told by a mechanic a plausible reason for it: I've not got the back wheel aligned correctly.

Given that I was changing its position, that sounds likely.

Will give that a go soon and report back.

Update: not that...

while it made the wheel spin more freely [but not as freely as I'd expect], the pedal still doesn't return to position.

edit: rather, the wheel wasn't spinning properly when no brake was applied. And applying the brake is still in the same problem of it not going back to the way it should after

Yeah, was thinking of giving you a call tomorrow, to see if you could help out.

I'll just need to remember to not use the back brake when I travel (:

Yeah, was thinking of giving you a call tomorrow, to see if you could help out.

I'll just need to remember to not use the back brake when I travel (:

its only 5 mins away, just keep your right toes on the rest then you won't be tempted.

Oh and I have a pressy for you from Oldtimer

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online