confused with my xs400 carbs

4strokertwin
This post is 3330 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi peeps.

I have a 78 xs250 I restored, from early on, I intended to convert to a 400.

I purchased a set of 400e carbs(well I was told they where, or sold as) some time ago, any way, after stripping the motor, and commenced the change over,that seamed to go ok.
and now got to the carbs, something is not right, it appears, its either the float cover chamber is wrong or the carbs.
on checking the parts book I have,the part No.2A2-14984-01, which didn't look correct, so had to order p/n 2a2-11351-00, with the hole in it..
the float chamber I have looks like the correct, from the Parts book.
so can anyone shed any light on this, please check photos.

PS hope it all makes sense.

thanks graham

sorry unable to edit with an arrow.the first , bottom right hole, not the screw hose.

IMG_1054400e_zps5541d5bd.jpg

IMG_1055400e_zps16df7fc5.jpg

IMG_1051400e_zps0e2d4b7a.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

thanks drew I thought you would come to the rescue.

graham

well I've been doing some searching, and discovered that there off a 80/81 xs400, and found bowls to fit, but will these work ok, I wonder.

the jets in the carbs are correct for the bike, but not sure of the slides.

also found 3 sets of carbs, correct for the bike, at 145. including shipping/postage from the good old US of A, and will have to strip and clean.

on my carbs, that hole is blanked so it must be an access hole when they make the carbs, maybe they are used in later specced carbs.

mine look just like yours

thanks drew.

not sure what to do yet, whether to buy bowls(40 + from usa), and try them, or buy the correct !!! set(near 200, from the usa).