Yam 175IT 1983

ski
This post is 3490 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good afternoon peeps

I have a quick question to ask,here we go

I have just brought this Yam IT and I have got it all up together and got an MOT on it ,I had to put a speedo on it to get the MOT ,I found out that this bike is an American import so I would guess the speedo drive in the front wheel would be calabrated for MPH not KPH ,the aftermarket speedo I brought on the inter-web say's on the face of it MPH ,the the pointer needle on it when i'm riding it seems to be quite acurate compared to the road speed limits and the speed of the other vehicles ,BUT the miles counter seems to be clocking up miles way to quickly , whats that all about ? whats going on ?Do you think the size of the 21" front wheel makes a difference for this universal speedo I brought ? Do you think I will need to try and find a genuine IT speedo ?

Cheers peeps

Ski.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi ski" :welcome:. .lots of dt speedo"s going about,, I woulda bother about milage . as its not original ,

• Like 1

Thanks for your input chaps,

I would like it to be correct because I have rebuilt the engine with the paper work to prove it and for the new speedo it will make it easier if I sell it on ,I'm using a very basic limited milage insurance for this bike because I have other toy's in the cupboard to play with and it might bite me in the arse that way and if its not correct its a half arse job ,I like my toys to be 100% correct ,the MOT man questioned it ,how can you have put that many miles on it between your house and my MOT station ? it should have shown 6 miles max not 25 miles

Latter Ski..

Esp as its wrong the wrong way. Bigger wheel means less rotations means LESS miles.

Even if its reading kph it should only read 10. Any paperwork with it. Generally the ratio it works with is printed on the face somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi peeps

Can anyone tell me ,when these IT 175 bikes where made back in the late 70's early 80's did they come with a trip meter only or a speedo / trip meter, I'm confused,I only saw one of these bikes back in the day when I was just a whippa snappa ,and I cant remember.On Ebay I see what I think is a trip meter only.

Aye ski " Enduro bikes were basic , as they were gonna get dropped, no fineries on the IT"s ,, what you got was a ported motor,

DT175 15BHP - iT175 23BHP, bigger carb too , :yeah:

IT is very different.

The head and barrel will swap but its a completely diff motor.

Rh chain, minimal mag, more crcase volume.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online