Bent or Straight leg when swinging it over the bike? [straw poll]

captf
This post is 3510 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

A brief conversation with the housemate yesterday had her with an observation about how people swing their leg over their bikes.

Her observation is that guys will bend their leg while they swing it over, while women tend to just keep it straight.

I haven't been able to disagree yet, but I am interested in if this is a seemingly accurate observation - so, what do you guys and gals do when swinging your leg over the bike?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How the f++k do you keep your leg straight when you get on the bike? Sounds like your flat mate is a member of the Olympics team to me, I mean it's lower in the middle/front of the seat,isn't it? so you naturally put your knee over the lowest part, don't you? You have so got to video your flat mate doing this, actually that sounds a bit pervy but you know what I mean! :eusa_whistle::biglaugha:

Swinging it over the back of the bike - obviously, if you've got a backbox or something, it might be a challenge...

But yeah, she keeps her leg straight as it goes over. Possibly not poker straight, but near enough.

Straight leg?! Perhaps only if you're John Cleese, goose-stepping about the place...

With luggage on the back, defo a bend at the knee. With the Tiger, defo a bend at the knee and a momentous tip-toe on the other leg.

I just have a back pack today so I'll report back after my ride home, but pretty sure I fall into the "guy" category your mate mentions... Not quite sure what that makes me... Bent perhaps?! Oh dear...

• Like 2

Granted, it is only on a small set of bikes she's demonstrated this on - a YBR, a CBF125 and an MT-07... and she's a flexible bugger, which probably helps - but I have witnessed the straight leg swing.

I also recently spotted a youtube video of a female rider who did the straight leg thing [on a ninja]

Get a video to satisfy Slice and the other chaps in here, ha ha!

In the meantime I'll report back as i don't really think about what my leg is doing...

Depends on the circumstances...

Mounting from the left:

• If my foot has to go above my waist - I'll lift the leg up with a bent knee leading, twist my hips leftward, then throw the foot over and down, taking my bodyweight over the bike and settling down onto the seat as my foot touches the floor. This is how I mount the FJ and it looks like a karate kick.
  • If the foot does not have to go so high - I twist into it first and then swing a straight leg over, lifting the bike upright as I settle down, all in one smooth move. This is how I mounted the much lower Dragstar.

Mounting from the right is pretty similar, but without lifting the bike upright.

Mounting as a pillion, on a high bike with luggage - Kick the foot up with a bent knee, rest foot on pillion pad, hop a few inches closer to the bike until you can get your leg over, finish mounting, pretend you fully intended to look like a pillock.

• Like 1

So I paid attention and think I fall into Tasky's "karate kick" move - although mine doesn't look as cool as that sounds!

The Tiger was quite tall and when it had luggage on the back I used to mount it like a horse. Left foot of peg, 1st gear, grab handlebars and front brake, stand and swing. The side stand was plenty strong enough, but I wouldn't do this on the Street Triple as it's made of cheese.

In line with what Tasky was saying about mounting as a pillion - mine was quite different. I rode as pillion for years before getting my licence, so ample practice. Biker ready - front brake on and wide two-legged stance. Check both pegs are down and biker is certainly ready. Left hand on riders shoulder to steady, left foot up on peg, Lunge with right - up - bring right foot round (and maybe over a top box) - right hand on riders other shoulder, and sit. With practice that move can be done very quickly and without rocking the bike around much. You look like less of a pillock. I get my pillions to get on my bike like this.

All personal preference though at the end of the day. For example my old instructor had a leg injury so would swing his foot into the seat and slide on his bike...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online