question about early yamaha 175 cdi

s900t8v
This post is 3533 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey guys

I have a yamaha ag 175, (its mostly based around CT motor and early Dt125 chassis etc)..

I have done a number of performance mods and am increasing the compression so I am thinking CDI could be a good add on.

I bought a few yamaha ag 175s, a 1978 model I bought had a 2 wire CDI box (litle black box), but the unit still had points (but no condensor) was this some middle ground cdi unit that yamaha did for a year or two? or perhaps just for ag bikes for easier start/better reliability/lower maintenance?

it seems they use the points as a low voltage switch, so they basically dont burn or wear/require readjustment, this is teh same concept as many add on cdi systems like rooster booster etc (for old bikes)

am I right in this? if so I will incorporate the CDI kit into my bike - is there any way to test the CDI box to ensure its ok prior to installation...

also

are the coils for pre and post CDI yamaha 175's interchangeable or not? are they the same?

thanks

Ed

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online