carb needle number needed please

bach
This post is 3531 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello chaps,

I need help big please to replace the needle of my Brazilian built Yamaha DT 180.

I bought the bike as a rebuild project from a chap who unfortunately replaced the needle in the carb (and threw the original away) with a DT 175 needle, and so I don't know the numbers stamped on the original needle to buy an after market equivalent. The Yamaha part is discontinued.

The carb on the bike is a Mikuni 24mm with the numbers 58W10 stamped above the auto lube tube inlet. As far as I know it's a VM2455.

The original Yamaha part number for the carb assembly is 23K-14101-00 and for the needle is 584-14116-07.

I've solved loads of problems from leaking crank gaskets to reed valve and electrical issues. The bike now starts fine and idles fine, but runs very rich, to the point that opening the throttle too much causes the bike to be unable to burn the fuel. I know for a fact that the needle is wrong, so I'm fairly certain I need to change the needle to one that is leaner. Air screw settings don't change anything, and the bike also struggles to clear at half throttle opening. The needle in the bike now has two tapers.

If I'm unable to ever get the correct equivalent needle in South Africa can someone recommend a needle for this bike that will give ok performance. The bike is not used for anything special. Standard or thereabouts is good enough. I guess I'd rather have it running a bit rich than too lean to save the piston.

Thanx gents, and may I say you have a wonderful forum here. You've helped me LOADS to get my bike running as well as it does now.

Bach

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Had a look on the net for your needle, Christ they are rare aren't they, have you considered just changing the whole carb to something else that might fit instead? Believe it or not most of the threads that had your carb on them were for lawn mowers and ATVs. Another thread I found was for MIKUNI itself, they can supply a new carb for you if you contact them according to their website, you best be sitting down when they tell you the price tho. Your best bet might be to buy a whole bike/scrapper and rob the bit's you want off of that. Good luck in your quest mate.

PS there were loads of parts for the RT180 version, will they fit?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online