FZ6 Electrically DEAD

bpchura
This post is 3532 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, please give me your advice on this problem I just had. So heres the story:

Bike: 2007 FZ6

It was really nice out today and I decided I would throw the battery in the bike and have a spin. It was lightly winterized with a full tank of gas with stabilizer and battery removed. So today I did what I always do, put the battery in and then buttoned up all the fairings. I turn the key and it lights up like normal. I dont think I heard the fuel pump pressurize but I wasnt really listening for it. I flip the kill switch to on and hit the starter. Right as I hit the starter I think I heard a light click noise and then it all went dead. No power at all. I checked the main fuse as well as all the others and they where fine. Even switched out the main with the spare. I have no ideas as to what it could be as it ran before I winterized it. It literally sat untouched, in the garage, under a cover.

Anyone have anything? I would really really like to get it going soon as the weather is nice for the next day or so before its below zero. Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry I forgot some good info in my orig post. I checked the battery voltage and got around 13v. I have an analog multimeter so it doesnt go too precise. Battery is new, been on a tender, inside, and it started the bike recently. An interesting detail about the battery is that the meter went to almost zero when I turned the key. I dont know if that indicates anything/abnormal. Connections are spotless and super tight. And bike totally dead. No anything when key is turned.

Sounds like you have a dead plate in your battery, if the voltage is , as you say 13V, then it drops to 0V when you try to start it the battery is toast. If you have a car then connect the battery terminals to your car with a set of jump leads, DO NOT have the car engine running cos it will cook your electrics on the bike, then try to start it, if it starts ok then you have your problem sorted with a new battery. Try the simple things first before you start thinking about wiring looms or blown fuses.

• Like 1

Slice, thanks for your help. Thats exactly what I found it to be. I wasnt aware that was possible, a battery to go bad so suddenly like that. I took it to the auto parts store to have them run a load test on it and it failed right away. Thanks again.

No Prob mate, glad you got it sorted, now all you want is the sun to shine! :biglaugha:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online