Swingarm removal / rear wheel alignment

Adam2201
This post is 3393 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!

I took the swingarm off my YBR125 to strip down, remove rust and re-paint over Christmas. When I've put it all back together, the wheel alignment at the back seems to be way out according to the marks on the arm (I know the marks are not definitive, but they were fairly accurate before removing the swingarm, which is what's making me think I've done something wrong).

If I take up the chain slack on the left hand side I'm at the second mark on the swingarm, but on the right hand side the adjuster bolt isn't even touching the swingarm on the second mark, it's nearer to the forth before it makes contact. I've pulled the wheel all the way back before I try to set the tension (as when I've adjusted slack in the past), so I've no idea what's changed.

I'll have another look at it tonight and try measuring the wheel relative to the swingarm on each side, but does anyone have any idea what I might have done to put it so far out of alignment? I haven't changed the bushes or any of the components of the swingarm - the only thing I've done differently when I've put it back together is move the 3mm shim (there was only one fitted) from the right hand side of the bike to the left ( as per Yamaha manual and haynes manual), would this make a difference to the alignment?

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Adam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A picture says a thousand words Adam, it's not on upside down is it? :shakeno:

• Like 1

Will try to get one for you tomorrow when I can work in daylight. The swingarm has chain guide on one side/brake torque arm on the other so it can only go one way round.

Are you actually pulling the wheel back straight? if i was in any doubt, i'd seat the axle as far forward as it will go and then take it back a turn on each side at a time. The definitive measure being from the centre of the swingarm-chassis bolt to the centre-line of the axle. I can't help but imagine that as you are taking the slack up it's cocking-off to one side. Even chunky axles will do this. As pretty much every dimension, but the float of the axle, is fixed it is hard to see what else could be off.

Of course you are there so maybe you are being deft and the problem is something else, maybe obvious - are the adjusters both in the correct orientation. Are any rear wheel spacers missing (rolled under a workbench, perhaps?).

• Like 1

Cheers Pilninggas. I did it the same way I've done it every time I've adjusted the chain, but will go back to basics tonight and do it one turn at at a time on each side and see if that works. Spacers are all in and in the right place.. I was tired last night and trying to get it built in a hurry, so it's probably a bit of that as well.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online