dt 125 gearbox problem

DtMitch
This post is 3368 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys i have a problem with my dt changing from 1st to 2nd. it started yesterday after using the bike for some enduro riding, i rode from 10am to 3:30pm with regular cool down breaks. i will say that most of the time i was in first gear with fairly high revs. well now the bike goes into first easily but then struggles into 2nd and is then fine throughout all the gears. is it possible to damage a gearbox from riding in 1st for a long time? any advice will be appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is there oil in the box?

Could be the detent ball, that holds the shift drum in neutral, remove it by slackening the plug on top of engine, just behind the clutch arm.[ that's on most DT"s] remove spring and use magnet to draw out the ball ,, then test run, it will be hard to find neutral of coarse, :spin2:

But if it changes gear , that's your problem,,

Weak return spring on selector pawl,,, it can bee fixed with side cover off, clutch side,, the ball thing , lets get it out first and see if its that, :yeah:

morning guys, im out working on the bike now and have just removed loads of mud from the front sprocket area, but it didnt seem to make a difference. the engine plug on the left side is very tight and i cant see any screw around the clutch arm so im a bit confused tbh

i dont know if anyone will read this again but i just want to correct myself to maybe help others in the future. anyway, my chain was quite loose so i went to tighten it today and found the left adjuster to be on 5 and the right on 6