First ride in 41 years....

Gdgarth
This post is 3422 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Many years ago, I met a girl. Since I needed money to take her out, I sold my beloved 1964 Suzuki 250 street bike (2 stroke, I had to mix oil and gas in the tank).

Fast forward 41 years - now I'm married to the same girl, but I still miss my old bike. I took the MSF course, and bought a used V-Star 650. Not counting a five minute test drive, I hadn't been on the street on a bike in 41 years - I remedied that yesterday. I went about 25 miles round trip, combination of city, highway, and just a touch of freeway driving. Minor hiccup when I almost couldn't get the gas cap off at the station, but I finally did it.

The ride was intimidating for the first five minutes or so, then I felt like I'd been riding for years - everything just felt natural. The differences between now and 1973? Here are a couple:

The bike - my old Suzuki, while smaller, was quick - top end was just under 90, but it got there fast. The red line ( for those who worry about things Ike that) was way up there. It was kind of an old POS, but it was a lot of fun to ride. Back then, a 650 was a big bike - My v star, at 649cc's, is small. Performance is fine, but after hitting the highway for just a few miles, I understand why you'd want a bigger bike for long trips. The new bike is smooth and steady, handles nicely, and - so far at least - parts don't fal off in the middle of your ride. All in all, the new bike fits my now old and creaky body perfectly.

Me - when I was young, I'd see a car about to pull out in front of me. I'd think, "it'll be their fault", so I'd just keep going - even accelerating - without a worry. If they pulled in front of me, I'd swerve and cuss. Now, my head is on a swivel - I'm constantly on the lookout for potential trouble. If there's a question, I slow down, move over, or do whatever I need to do to avoid trouble. I now realize that if I'm in an accident, it won't matter whose fault it is - I'll lose.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. I look forward to meeting like-minded people on line.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: great intro :)

modern biking is def not the same as 10 years ago, all depends where you live I suppose

Welcome home mate, the more the merrier, I passed my test in 1968 so been hanging around bikes for a long while but these new machines are a wonder compared to the old stuff, start first time get to where you want to go without falling to bit's and they are comfortable and compliant unlike some of the things that I used to ride. Take care out there as even the small cars can keep up with you now and keep that head swiveling. A+ on the intro. :wavey:

Nice story..bit sad having to swop your wheels for a girl. I would rather find a girl with a job.

Yeh great intro garth" :welcome: . the Suzuki musta bee the Hustler250, they felt quick then , if you got on it now you would be disappointed,

More traffic is the biggest change in 40 years,, :yeah:

Great intro, like slice I passed my test in 1968 and have riding bikes on and off since then, got back to serious riding when my youngest started riding and now ride just for the pleasure.

Not sure how I survived in my youth as I was a bit of a nutcase on two wheels, the biggest changes for me is my attitude to riding and the amount of traffic on the road,don't get me wrong I still like speed but I am a lot more choosy of where and when I ride fast and am a lot more aware of the dangers out there.

Stay safe and enjoy.

"Nice story..bit sad having to swop your wheels for a girl. I would rather find a girl with a job. "

It was a great trade - no matter what the cost. We've been married for 38 years, so far - I only got $400 for the bike. She's worth at least 10,000 times as much.

" the Suzuki musta bee the Hustler250, they felt quick then , if you got on it now you would be disappointed,"

I'm positive of that - especially since I weighed 75 lbs less back then. I loved the bike - I'm probably remembering it with more fondness than accuracy.

Thanks for the comments

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online