Did anyone know this & if so why was I not told?

slice
This post is 3558 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok just a query, did anyone know about the paper drivers licence being scrapped? Just read this in one of Drewpys posts, (actually I wandered through the site and found this by accident,) and thought you all might like to know about it.

paperlicence.jpg

Do you know where the paper part of your driving licence is? Well, soon it won’t matter as the DVLA has now set a date for their abolition.

From June 8 2015, the paper counterpart licences will no longer be valid and the authorities will cease to issue any more.

The counterpart is currently used to keep a record of motoring convictions such as speeding. When you’re required to provide proof of licence, such as on track days, both parts of the licence are required. From June next year, the paper part will be ditched in favour of an online database much like the one now used for Vehicle Excise Duty (more commonly known as road tax).

The DVLA announced they’d be scrapping the paper counterparts back in July with many assuming the change would come into effect from 01 January 2015.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR ME?

Photocard Driving Licence Holders

You will need to destroy your paper counterpart after June 8th 2015, although there’s probably nothing wrong with keeping hold of it as it can still be used to change the address on your licence. From this date your photocard will be the only valid part of your licence so it is important to keep this.

Paper Driving Licence Holders (those issued before 1998)

If you have a paper driving licence only (issued before 1998), you should keep hold of this as it will remain valid. However endorsements and penalty points will no longer be recorded on these licences from 8th June 2015 as the information will, as with photocard licence holders, be stored online.

The next time you need to renew or change your licence, you’ll be issued with a photocard only.

You can view a 'Beta test' version of the online database and check your details here. The full version of the site will launch closer to the abolition date next year.

This copied from Bike Social website. Hope they don't mind !!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Slice I didn't know about it but then I don't really care as I've never had one of these new fangled licences, I've still got the original licence I got way back when I passed my car driving test. It is a bit tattered and torn but I intend to keep it until it expires when I'm 70,of course that is assuming that some bastard in a cage doesn't take me out before then.

Slice I didn't know about it but then I don't really care as I've never had one of these new fangled licences, I've still got the original licence I got way back when I passed my car driving test. It is a bit tattered and torn but I intend to keep it until it expires when I'm 70,of course that is assuming that some bastard in a cage doesn't take me out before then.

me too. I've never changed address so still on the old licence with no photo

I'm still on old paper licence never dared swop it for photo one, as I knew two people who lost there full motorcycle entitlement due to DVLA forgetting to put it on their new photo licence and were forced to retake their tests. The old paper one lasts till I'm 70 gives me another 10 years not sure I'm going to want to throw my XJR around then I don't bounce like I used to when I get It wrong and it seems to hurt more.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online