dt175 clutch problem

Mallet
This post is 3484 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, was wondering if i got get some advice on a 1996 DT175 that i'm trying to get running. The bike has been sitting around unused for a couple of years.

Without the motor running, if i put the bike into first gear and pulled the clutch lever in but cannot push the bike, it's like the clutch has not disengaged. I started the bike in neutral and the exhaust was quite smokey. I held the clutch in and put it into first and the motor stall (with clutch lever pulled in). Tried again with a few more revs at idle and was able take off in first but noticed the oil light remained on so shut the bike down.

The oil bottle/pump has not been used by the previous owner, they just mixed the oil into the petrol.

Any ideas on whats happening or how check/fix it, appreciated.

Cheers,

Mallet

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ok, thanks for moving the thread to the right area.

So, if the autolube oil pump is not used and oil is premix with the fuel would this explain the reason for oil pressure light remain on?

Also, the transmission oil was recently changed but i think they used 15w-40 car oil. Can this cause a problem should i can it to a two stroke oil?

Cheers

Hi Mallet, I had a similar problem with a Suzuki that I bought, not been used for some years and the plates were welded together, I had to dismantle the clutch and hammer the plates apart, they would not break apart even with the engine running and the rear wheel spinning, sometimes you have to just take them off and fix the problem, not sure I understand about the car oil but if someone has put car oil in the engine then the plates are buggered I'm afraid as car oil has additives that will wreck the cork plates on your bike, loads of folks try car oil thinking it's a cheaper oil but don't realise that it's meant for car's not bikes. Someone might be able to tell you how to clean them off but I think that once they are contaminated you have to replace them,l sure that's not what you want to hear.

ok, thanks for moving the thread to the right area.

So, if the autolube oil pump is not used and oil is premix with the fuel would this explain the reason for oil pressure light remain on?

Also, the transmission oil was recently changed but i think they used 15w-40 car oil. Can this cause a problem should i can it to a two stroke oil?

Cheers

It's not an oil pressure light, It's a 2 stroke tank oil level light, comes on in Neutral and if the level in the tank is low...no bother if you're pre-mixing

Car oil has additives that might make your clutch slip...bit ironic that eh :D

And the blue white smokey exhaust? I pulled the carb apart, cleaned and adjusted the float level (21mm). Could the smoke be cause by the carb, either something i've stuffed up during clean/adjust or could there be a mixture adjustment needed? Or maybe something totally unrelated to carb?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

Got the clutch plates freed up. Thanks for the help. One thing that helped was cable tied the clutch lever in overnight.

Road around on the blke for a while and that cleared the exhaust smoke.

Got an exhaust manifold leak. Where can i get a gasket for the exhaust manifold?

You'll need a photobucket account or similar to post pics. Check the

Isnt that the 2t oil feed you can see in the background.

Fits the other side?

Its an easy fix you need to take off clutch the basket & primary gear, pull out old seal , and push in the new,, :yeah: