Key getting stuck in ignition

Grouch
This post is 3481 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Lately the key has been getting really hard to turn and get out of the ignition. I'm putting it down to the cold weather and assume it needs lubing. Before I spray WD40 into the ignition I want to make sure what the correct thing to do is?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Stick the key just in the hole,open up the keyway, then squirt it down the keyway that will get deep inside, don't soak it just enough to lube it not take it swimming.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Get some graphite grease spray.

WD40 may free up the lock to begin with, but it will also trap grit along the way and foul the mechanism. Graphite grease actually helps to drive the muck out and keep the lock working freely.

I suspected as much. But hey, you can still get some and use it later. It'll come in handy for other locks, that will doubtless seize around this time of year, too. A little palm-size spray can will last for ages!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online