DT175MX 1978

ajl124
This post is 3262 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After months of thinking ,research etc, I have taken the plunge and stripped the the DT.

The bike is original including indicators and clocks, but someone has been over most of the cycle parts with black Smoothrite or similar paint.

It came apart eventually, with the swing arm pivot bolt seized and monoshock to swing arm seized, the most challenging parts.

All parts now boxed ,bagged and labeled where necessary.

I am leaving the engine complete at the moment and concentrating on the cycle parts.

Frame is stripped of every part including steering lock and off to the powder coaters soon, along with other parts.

Which brings me on to a question.

Frame should be gloss black, but what about the rear light housing, bash plate , fork yokes, headlamp brackets, chain guard and guide, handle bars and under seat rear mudguard support?

I remember some of these were satin black on my 79 bike back in the 80's.

Would like to get this bike looking original.

I will post some images soon

Andy

15819850542_36a504f3d5_b.jpgUntitled by ajl124, on Flickr">http://15633111837_dd65802ec6_c.jpgUntitled by ajl124, on Flickr

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A bit more progress this afternoon.

Side stand bracket.

It was a bit worn so I've done a weld repair to get the thickness back and ground back to correct thickness. New bolt and the stand fit a lot better.

As for the stand,when I got the bike ,when in the up position it hit the rear footrest and seemed to be worn in this position.

I have welded up the wear at the up stop on the stand if that makes sense.

Have a look at the picture and see if you guys think the angle of the stand in the up position is correct. eg. Parallel with the frame lower rails ?

Andy

Untitled by Untitled by ajl124, on Flickr">http://15635090849_efc43bb0ed_c.jpgUntitled by ajl124, on Flickr

Thanks for the comments guys.

The reason I bought it was I wanted an early example as I've had later ones, also it has only had three previous owners.

Airhead I haven't extended the stand just removed the paint to earth the welder.

Any takers on the paint question ?

Also any idea apart from ebay where I could get a rear mudguard as mine has been melted by something by the back light?

Andy

"but what about the rear light housing, bash plate , fork yokes, headlamp brackets, chain guard and guide, handle bars and under seat rear mudguard support?"

Rear light gloss

bash plate gloss

fork yokes cant remember, satin would look good to me

headlamp ears gloss

chain guard, wasnt painted...gloss plastic

chain guide gloss

handle bars, cant remember...

under seat mudguard support? you mean the fender support?...this was originally plated

under seat mudguard support? you mean the fender support?...this was originally plated

and on ebay, a new old stock (NOS) one's up for sale with 11hrs to go (@9am) and its already reached £91........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-nos-dt175mx-dt125mx-dt175-dt125-2a6-mx-dt-inner-gaurd-175mx-yz-rd-/131345003961?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1e94c5b5b9

it will be interesting how much this used one goes for too....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-DT125MX-DT175MX-DT125-DT175-DT-REAR-FENDER-MUDGUARD-METAL-SUPPORT-/121491588456?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1c49768568

as regards to the handlebars, mine are a slightly dull black (mines a white 78 too) but under the switches, having removed them recently, the paintwork is still a bright gloss black. Plus you can also see the light 'reflecting' off the handlebars in the photos in the original brochure which suggests it was gloss.

God these parts are expensive secondhand!

Thanks for the link ref the mudguard Airhead and the paint clarification.

Has anyone had handlebars powder coated, if so did everything fit back OK with the thickness of the coating, I'm thinking clamps ,throttle etc?

As the fender support should be cad plated gold. I will see if I can get it coated similar colour ?

Or may be zinc plated with a yellow/gold passivate.

Andy

As the fender support should be cad plated gold. I will see if I can get it coated similar colour ?

Or may be zinc plated with a yellow/gold passivate.

You can buy a can of spray which mimics nickel cadmium plating , well i know you used to be able to get it....Eastwoods i think!

Aj, having got the same bike, and replaced my rear fender, unless you intend just to take the bike to shows and show off the underside somehow, there really is no point in getting it coloured identical to the original.

You can't see the top as the plastic mud guard covers it, and the underside gets dirty when you ride it, mines coated in antirust and appears black but I struggle to see it under the rear wheel.

Are you really sure you want to?

I don't think its worth it, keep it clean and rust free yes but original? I don't think its worth the effort.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit quiet for the last couple of weeks but the Frame , swinging arm and other parts back from the powder coasters. Came to £100 all including ten other parts.
Strange how the owner of the powder coasters remembered me after thirty odd years quote " Are you from Alsager, didn't you have a FSIE ?"
Only other progress at the moment is putting more fluorescent lighting in the garage. Can't do a proper job with poor lighting.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Forks back from re-chroming at Rockrome in Liverpool.

Loads of other parts arrived from Fowlers so time to start reassembling the DT.

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online