MT-09 Tracer,,,

blackhat250
This post is 3419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• 4 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It was the earliest pre-view of the FJ-09, Tracer,,, but since then its been on Bike show live, Euro- sport ch 411 :jossun:

Its deffo a threat to the adventure bike market,,,am gonna test ride it in the spring,,, :yeah:

I hope its not better than the Tiger,,,,,av just got that :eusa_shifty: ,,

I like the look of the Tracer. I have 2 concerns about this bike, although the second concern is more about bikes in general (except maybe the Honda NC series):

(1) I did one of those Dark Tour rides on a regular MT09 and as much as it is a likeable machine the vibe at bang on 70mph in top would drive me nuts on the jaunts to the Alps. What were the NVH engineers at Yam thinking? Get the harshness up at the top end where riders aren't going to spend most of their time.

(2) Yam and the rest (but Yam in particular with their many engine design partnerships with the big Auto-makers) need to fix the MPG issue. Whilst car engines reach big specific power outputs (1000cc=100BHP) with low rev ceilings and big fuel economy - the renault 900ccTCE engine makes 90bhp and will turn 60+mpg hauling the excellent Dacia Logan Estate car around - my Fazer needs double the revs for maybe 1/3 more power at the wheels and less than half the peak torque. I've got 57mpg out of it riding at a steady 60mph on the motorway, best I could ever achieve. Why isn't Yam harvesting all this tech it gets involved in developing to put a torquey, boosted, efficient engine (with knock control) in a chassis like this? No reason why range couldn't be nearer 260miles with some car tech hand-me-downs. Bloody hell put a 1000cc turboderv engine in, we could be talking 100mpg and still putting 80-100bhp out and a ton of torque.

Like the Tracer but until Yam start looking at bettering MPG it isnt a big enough of a leap forward tbh. C- must do better Yam.

Good point merv" the new Tiger800 xc returns 65mpg,,,I think the japs are still playing catch up with triumph, If you told anyone that in 1975 they would have laughed their head off,

I would up the front sprocket 1 tooth to shift the vibe speed,,, talking of this ,when I had my H2 ,Triple, I ran 16tooth &mate ran 15,[standard,] when on motorway he wanted to run 85mph, to beat the vibes, but this left me in the vibe range , after a while your feet slid off the pegs, :shakeno:

looks nice Katie but I think Triumph are ahead of everyone when it comes to triple's

Nah, too bland. Riding a Benelli TreK and it knocks the socks off Triumph when it comes to fun :):hyper:

And just in case the old nonsense starts (usually from people who've never seen a Benelli), it's very reliable too :icon_cheesygrin:

always thought those benelli tre-k's were a stunning bike, unfortunately most rumours are that dealers will only take top price for them and when you want to trade in against a different bike they;ll give you nothing or tell you to sell privately then come back with cash and they will see what they can do on "a deal" with you

always thought those benelli tre-k's were a stunning bike, unfortunately most rumours are that dealers will only take top price for them and when you want to trade in against a different bike they;ll give you nothing or tell you to sell privately then come back with cash and they will see what they can do on "a deal" with you

What, you mean a dealer being a wanker? Surely not??

Think they offered me less than a grand for my clean, low mileage Mille as a trade-in. I told him not to be so silly...

• Like 1

I like the look of the Tracer. I have 2 concerns about this bike, although the second concern is more about bikes in general (except maybe the Honda NC series):

(1) I did one of those Dark Tour rides on a regular MT09 and as much as it is a likeable machine the vibe at bang on 70mph in top would drive me nuts on the jaunts to the Alps. What were the NVH engineers at Yam thinking? Get the harshness up at the top end where riders aren't going to spend most of their time.

(2) Yam and the rest (but Yam in particular with their many engine design partnerships with the big Auto-makers) need to fix the MPG issue. Whilst car engines reach big specific power outputs (1000cc=100BHP) with low rev ceilings and big fuel economy - the renault 900ccTCE engine makes 90bhp and will turn 60+mpg hauling the excellent Dacia Logan Estate car around - my Fazer needs double the revs for maybe 1/3 more power at the wheels and less than half the peak torque. I've got 57mpg out of it riding at a steady 60mph on the motorway, best I could ever achieve. Why isn't Yam harvesting all this tech it gets involved in developing to put a torquey, boosted, efficient engine (with knock control) in a chassis like this? No reason why range couldn't be nearer 260miles with some car tech hand-me-downs. Bloody hell put a 1000cc turboderv engine in, we could be talking 100mpg and still putting 80-100bhp out and a ton of torque.

Like the Tracer but until Yam start looking at bettering MPG it isnt a big enough of a leap forward tbh. C- must do better Yam.

Honda clearly agree with me:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2014/december/hondas-supercharged-nc750/

This looks more like the route that future motorcycle design needs to go in. Boosted, efficient design sharing more with Fiat's TwinAir or Ford's EcoBoost.

btw Katie, those italian things leave me quite cold - the Benelli looks good, but having ridden with a group and one being on the Ben, I didn't think it's chassis was 'all that' tbh

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online