Carb problems

Scott8155
This post is 3472 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You're right oobliksem, I've just checked. That seems really high but I suppose if it's in the manual then I should give that a go.

Lost,,pull you questions together in one post.

Haynes advises idle speed should be between 1650 &1850. Mines is usually between 1600 &1700. My bike usually takes a minute or 2 to warm up. Are you holding the start button in until it starts or just pressing and releasing?

No need for it to idle that high,the guy who wrote that in the hayens was high.

You never answered this question.....Are you holding the start button in until it starts or just pressing and releasing?

You have family members who could help you with this if you were to ask them,thoe it sounds like you still dont even know how to start your bike.As the cold comes the bike will start different.

My bike only sparks twice off of the button so I hold it until either the bike has started or until the two sparks will have passed.

I did answer the question dt502001, maybe I didn't do it clear enough for you.

Yes, I do have family members who could help me with this, but I'd rather research it and go at it by myself.

Jesus, is that for my model? That seems quite high.

It probably has a light flywheel, and wont tick over @ 1000 rpm,,,,, 2 sparks then nowt , ?

What happens when you press the button after the, "2 sparks".

Is it completely dead when you push the start button or is there a clicking sound from the left of the bike?

If there is no clicking sound then check the solenoid.

If there is a clicking sound check the wiring to your starter motor.

Im going to try my carb at 1400 for idling then will take it lower once I see how it goes.

I find when it is at 1100/1200 it will usually cut out if not warmed up properly.

It probably has a light flywheel, and wont tick over @ 1000 rpm,,,,, 2 sparks then nowt , ?

It was my girlfriends Dad that came across the 2sparks then nothing. I checked it myself today and it's almost different every time I press the electric start. Sometimes it sparks once then not at all until I let go of the switch, at this point there is sometimes a series of small/weak sparks. The spark plug is on my to do list anyway, it might not need changing, but I have no idea how long the previous owner had it in.

What happens when you press the button after the, "2 sparks".

Is it completely dead when you push the start button or is there a clicking sound from the left of the bike?

If there is no clicking sound then check the solenoid.

If there is a clicking sound check the wiring to your starter motor.

Im going to try my carb at 1400 for idling then will take it lower once I see how it goes.

I find when it is at 1100/1200 it will usually cut out if not warmed up properly.

Whilst the button is pressed there's that repeating noise the bike makes when trying to start on the button, so I don't think it will be the solenoid. I'm wiring a new speedometer sometime in the next week or two so I will check the wiring to the starter motor then. My bike seems to be good at 1100-1200, any lower and the bike seems to struggle, when not warmed up that is.

I would say its lack of voltage, the starter is drawing most volts, as button is released - the increase voltage goes to coil ,.

check that battery, just coz its newish means nowt ,, put meter on it -as you press starter -see the drop..

I would say its lack of voltage, the starter is drawing most volts, as button is released - the increase voltage goes to coil ,.

check that battery, just coz its newish means nowt ,, put meter on it -as you press starter -see the drop..

I'll have to get my hands on a meter. The display on the speedometer shows a full battery and after some button presses this goes down to half. Obviously a meter is more trustworthy like
  • Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online