shifter problems on my GT80

GT80GUY
This post is 3485 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone! I bought a 1974 (I think) gt80 a while ago and I'm restoring her, when I first got it I took it for a spin of course, however the gears are a huge question mark to me... if I hold the clutch in and push the shifter down and hold it down it sometimes goes to first gear... and sometimes it doesn't do anything! I struggle to even find a gear on it to shift into. and when I do it's usually 2nd or 3rd I'm assuming since the engine wants to bogg out. I split the cases and everything looks good, but the shifter arm that pulls/pushes the piece on the synchronizer either catches one gear or it won't go back into neutral ect. anybody know what the problem is?! so confused :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is the gear lever indexing (returning to central position) correctly?, otherwise my guess would be worn selector drum, detent plunger or bent/worn selector forks.

iirc the GT80 engine is the same as the DT80 and RD80, which incidentally all have the same gear ratios as the DT50 and RD50 so you could swap the gearbox internals with either of those.

Hope this helps bud

does the gear shift lever always return to a central position from being lifted or pressed down..as it should?

Yip. weak return spring , :yeah: , see it on shaft,

$(KGrHqV,!i8E6Qeg5tU0BOuFPuZBR!~~60_58.J