Yamaha Jog R revving problem

YamJogger
This post is 3632 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just bought a 2005 Jog R. It had a slight problem with it revving and sometimes starting.

Ive noticed an inline fuel filter but I think this is in the return line back to the tank, is this normal. Plus, it isn't full of fuel, it only had a small amount in the bottom.

Also, what does the fuel tap do? As I can't see any way to turn it on or off!!

When I get the bike started and rev it, it sounds like it is being starved of fuel.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You need a manual for your bike, if you don't know how it works how can you fix it? Even the basic manual that comes with the bike would do as it usually has the smaller details inside, should cost about £3 from ebay or some such. Look online to see if there are any diagrams or photos/videos about your bike and look at or watch those.

It's usual to do an INTRO in the NEW MEMBERS section before you ask a "how do I fix my bike" question, we get a LOT of 1 hit wonders on here who want info but can't be arsed to say thank you or even Hello. Not saying that's you but ask yourself this, if you walk up to a bunch of complete strangers and start asking questions about how to fix your bike without saying "Hi" or introducing yourself how many will help you out or just ignore you? So please pop over to the above section and say Hello, that way folks will feel you have made an effort to be polite and will return the favour. Welcome to the YOC :wavey: and hope you stick around. :jossun:

Thank you for that. Ok most of these bikes have a vacuum system for the fuel, so your fuel tap should have "ON" - "RES" - "PRI" , that is On-reserve- prime, there is no OFF on these it only draws fuel while running, reserve is obvious as is ON but prime is for when the carbs have been emptied or run dry for some reason and it should only be used to fill the bowls then turned back to ON, try the prime position to see that fills the filter on your bike, if not then it's the wrong way round (arrow should be facing towards the carb) and that might be the cause of you fuel difficulty. Just my thoughts on it. :jossun:

Nope your right, no lever there is there? Buggered if I know then maybe some kind soul on here will know what to do with it, but time to confess that this is a bit of a mystery to me. But the large round part could still be a diaphragm inside, does it come apart do you know? ie unscrew or can you just get inside it? If that is a diaphragm then if that is holed that might explain your problem with fuel flow.

I believe it's a vacuum fuel tap. As you said Slice, it only lets fuel by when the engine is running. This type doesn't have reserve or prime positions it's just always on. Probably due to the small engine/carburettor size. Prime would flood the carb in two seconds.

Yep thats a vac tap the small pipe on the bottom gets hooked to the intake no need for a filter in line in that hose... my guess ..someone didn't know what they were doing and put it in the wrong hose if it has any gas in it then the diaphram in the tap is leaking.

hook up a hose to the small pipe Use a long hose so you dont end up with a mouth full of gas clear fish tank hose will work for this and suck on it you shouldnt be able to draw any air through or fuel..with it installed in the gas tank when you suck on it fuel should flow from the larger pipe freely. and stop as soon as you stop.

I did that and got a little trickle. Certainly not a steady flow. It only seemed to flow when I sucked-released-sucked-released. I think ive narrowed the problem down to the broken wire on the auto choke. The bike starts and runs fine but then once its been revved it cuts out and dies. Then its a nightmare to get started again.

Yep your diaphram is buggered it should hold vaccume and keep flowing fuel,best find a new fuel tap.

You can try making a fuel source from anything ( plastic pop- bottle ect)and let the fuel just flow to the carb to prove it and block the vac line off. Just be careful not to have alot of gas and do it outside so if you spill any it wont catch anything on fire.Use common sence and have garden hose fire extinguser bucket o water ect just incase. I think thats your problem. Of course fix anything esl that broken too but the main problem is lack of fuel delivery.

Edit; just use a long piece of hose and fill the carb and hose keep the hose taped or what ever up and see how that works the bike should run till the hose is empty. might be the safer way.

I think the diaphragm is fine because when I suck on the vaccuum line I can only draw a little air then I can't suck any more. I certainly can't continually suck airthrough. Its like sucking air out a deflated balloon, there's only so much air I can suck!!

Right, just taken the pipes off the carb and binned off the shitty fuel filter temporarily, ive sucked on the vaccuum line and now I get a steady flow from the fuel tank. So the inline filer is blocked! Im off to the toon to get some new fuel line and an inline filter!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online