XVS 950 1st Service

J3ster666
This post is 3560 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All, I am really enjoying my fist trip into Cruising and my Yamaha XVS 950 is putting a smile on my face with every mile. I just have a question around the 1st service as mine has just gone through this.

The cost was £95 (£35 of which was labour/not too bad) the filter was £11 but a further £34 was on Oil in the amount of 4.5 litres.

This seemed a lot on both counts and looking around it seems that the bike only takes 4.0 litres anyway? I can't believe a flush was done and this was certainly not mentioned by the shop.

So my questions are does the cost sound reasonable and also with the 4.5L of oil could it be that either it was only 4.0L or that it has been overfilled with 4.5L?

I am new to the area where I had my bike serviced and do not know the reputattion of the shop. The Shop is a Registered Yamaha Dealer but I am just nervous as this is not only my first Cruiser but also my first New bike (only had old sports before)

Any reassurance would be welcome.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Jester,

Welcome the the club, its normally the norm to post an intro in the new members section just to let us know a bit about yourself so we can get to know you (we like making new freinds)

As for the oil and price, this sounds like a typical main dealer price so dont worry about that. next time buy a service manual and do it your self (its very easy) and you can save money on labour etc.

Now for the Oil, 4.0L would be the amount of oil needed for just an oil change, 4.5L will be the amount needed for an oil AND oil filter change the filter will soak up a sertain amount of oil (like chucking a spounge in the sink) so they have done the correct thing

Looking at the owners manual for the XVS950 on the Yamaha Motor UK site it says that for just an oil change 3.7L and oil and filter change 4.0L as you say. If this it what it says in your manual as well I would take it along to the dealer with your receipt and query why you have been charged for an extra 0.5 litres of oil. I would also check the amount in the engine following what it says in your manual to make sure they haven't overfilled it.

4L are enough, warm your engine for 5 min, wait 10 min and check your oil level... keep your bike in vertical position when you check this. is important to wait those 10 min before checking.

hi and welcome

about the price you pay, is a fair price and normally I pay over 45 pounds for the oil. also the normal labour price is something like 45 pounds and a service normally take 2 hours (except the first, that one at 600 miles when they just change the oil filter and the oil.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online