YBR 125 - no dipped headlight. What are my troubleshooting steps?

captf
This post is 3567 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

[Now fixed]

Waffling preamble!

I've got a '12 plate YBR 125, and my housemate was complaining that my dipped lights were blinding her while riding behind.

Looking at the angle of the headlight, it was quite straight, so I could see how it'd be possible. Therefore, I decided to adjust it.

5 minute job, slight tilt down. Done.

Except now I have no dipped headlights, and I have no idea what's gone wrong.

Main beam still works without any issue, as does the sidelight.

What I do know is:

• both filaments of the bulb are still in good condition
  • No obvious corrosion at any of the contacts

What I'm trying to find out - in an "explain it like I'm stupid" style way, how to determine what's wrong - and just as importantly, how I managed to break it.

Available tools are the usual sockets and screwdrivers, and a multi-meter [in case it's electrical]. I've got the Haynes manual too, but it done be confumbling me!

Tar for any advice!

[Actual problem: bulb was gone.]

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well the first thing to check is if there is powre getting to the light possible the wireing has come appart,so un plug light and test with meter or test light. then if no power keep working back to the switch. possibly the wire has become pinched to ground ( earth) or broken.

Not much to it realy think of it like water the flow has stoped some where just a matter of finding it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

I'm not actually sure how to test - or at least with any certainty. Which is where part of my problem lies, I guess.

So, it's how do I actually use the meter to test? Do I want to do a resistance check, or voltage?

Should I have the engine running when I do it - and should the bulb be in or out at the time?

I feel I'm asking stupid questions around it, but I'd rather have a proper idea before doing something that could accidentally damage it worse [if that's even capable of happening]

It was a bit of a squeeze getting the headlight unit back in to the frame, so I could feasibly of damaged the wire...

First... are you sure the bulb is ACTUALLY working? filaments intact visually is NOT a guarantee!

Here's a post i did from someones similar problem.............

(Here's my post repeated here)

Get a short length of wire, attach one end to the +ve battery terminal, hold the headlight bulb metal casing to the -ve terminal.

then touch each of the bulb contacts with the wire end.

The dip and beam filaments will glow with equal brightness, proving the bulb is OK.

If both filaments are working then YOU know by elimination it is the circuit of the main beam which has the problem.

A likely source of the problem is the electrical contacts within the light switch, which selects dip or beam.

You see it is one power wire from the battery which is diverted to either the dip or beam filament within the switch.

Dirty contacts within the switch prevent the current flowing, thats what Airhead is suggesting to you.

bat.gif

Testing the bulb as above will confirm the bulb is in good order.

While I don't want to risk myself with a battery [i'd probably shock myself (: ], I have just done a resistance check across the bulb terminals - high beam showed a closed circuit, while low beam was open.

I think that, at least, I'll go get a couple of replacement bulbs: and if it's not that, at least I'll have spares.

It was the bulb. (:

All the faff I did, trying to figure out what I'd done wrong, and it was the simplest thing...

In honety, I'm not sure how I managed to break the bulb - I didn't go near the actual bulbs when repositioning it!

Cheers for all the input and help.

• Like 1

LOL I would have thought you would have checked that first,but so you know for next time you would want to do a voltage check eng off is fine your just looking for battery voltage to be present. on both terminals when the switch is in the appropiat position.

As for being rough with it doubt that they take alot more abuse just running down the road,more like just a weird consiquince,but do NOT ever touch the galss part of the bulb or it will be very short lived( hallogen) whipe down with alocholo if you do.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online