Mt03 660 oil in air filter box

Markudell660
This post is 3649 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I have a mt03 660, I quite often find a small amount of oil in the air filter housing, there is a drain pipe that comes out the bottom of the housing and comes put under the engine, it has a small plastic stopper in the end and when removed there is a small amount of engine oil that comes out, is this normal or a problem, any advice would be great. Thanks mark

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you oil level is right then you shoudn't find any oil in the air box,if it was over filled then it will blow back into the air box.

Clean out the air box and set the oil lever correct slightly less that full with the bike up right and then run the bike if it continues to keep putting oil in the air box you rings need changing.

Compression test would be in order as well. If you can do a leak down test and listen to the air box and see how much is blowing by the rings.

Also how many miles on the bike?

Hi, that's very helpful, I have just done a service so maybe I slightly over filled, it's hard to get right on this engine as no sight window and two sumps so you have to part fill start bike then turn off and put some more oil in, and when checking oil the manual says to start rev five times turn off then check oil level, a bit hit and miss idea I think. Mileage is 8300 so hopefully no engine wear problems yet surely, thanks for help.

It is normal to have a drop of gunk in the airbox drain tube , hence the stopper . Also , some bikes have a crankcase breather which on modern bikes is routed into the airbox so any vapours can be burnt by the engine . If there's a lot of oil , I'd take the sound advice given above .

Thanks for the advice guys, really good to have helpful people out there rather than relying on garage advice that always ends up costing money, thanks everyone.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online