yam 175 engine rebuild question

s900t8v
This post is 3665 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've rebuilt motorcycle engines in the past and always used gaskets with flange sealant on both sides for the crankcase.

can I assemble the crankcase halves without gaskets and just use threebond 1104/yamabond? the gasket kits are expensive to buy in aus.

I could cut my own gasket if required as I have plenty of gasket paper.

cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just something to consider

I suppose you could use ‘Yamabond’, I prefer to use gaskets, if you do use the adhesive sealant because there is no a gasket acting like a very thin shim,

You may find that some of the casings fit closer together this could cause some tight fitting shafts to rub at either end, this happened to my bike when I used a sealant on the clutch cover the kick-start mechanism rubbed on the inside of the clutch cover and it would not return properly, a new gasket restoring the position of the cover fixed this,

Yeah that's a good point. I'd have to re shim the crank. Not a huge deal but some what adding time.

Ill do it the right way and buy the gaskets and use yamabond on both sides of the gasket Etc

Thanks I did sort of think it wouldn't be ideal to cut corners on the gasket.

ah well hold the phone

the parts catalogue does not list a center gasket for the yamaha CT series... I just went through the manual and the crankcase halves are bonded with yamabond whereas the crankcase cover (or clutch cover) requires a paper gasket + yamabond on both surfaces to seal.

thats awesome, I'll just make a crankcase cover gasket myself I think or re use the one I have.

saves me $60 for a gasket kit I wont even need.

problem solved!

There isnt a centre gasket on the older stuff. I dont see a reason for them to introduce it.

My dt175 only has the red sealant. No gasket.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online