Fork seals which way round xt125r 06

oobliksem
This post is 3670 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

stupid question but which way round do they go, does the silver spring round the seal face up/outside the fork or down/inside the fork.

New seals were fitted but still leaking and hence failed its mot, 1st mot since owning it. Stanchions are fine. Not sure if they were put in the wrong way round or maybe not driven in correctly.

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I recently replaced my fork seals on my 400/4 about a month ago.

Assuming your forks are standard with the stanchions fitted on top, which means your seals fit into the lower forks spring side down.

They fit about the thickness of a seal down inside the fork, not flush with the top.

A common cause of leakage is rust spots on the chrome stanchions sliding over the seal, this rough surface can score and damage the seal or simply prevent a good seal, and they leak. Check the condition of the chrome its got to be smooth.

Also if the lower leg is/has been dammaged might cause problems,the seal has to seal not only on the stantion but the leg as well.

Spring always goes to the leg(thicker part cast aluminum) you should only see the upper lip of the seal once installed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply guys. Stanchions are fine there were hardly any pits on them.

I think the seals were put in the wrong way round as the silver spring on the fork seal is facing up the way. Will yank them out this weekend and put new ones in.

Cheers

Yep, pretty sure the spring side goes toward the oil. :)

droplets of yes and no in an ocean of maybe

+1 Springs down as they seal better when under pressure. Also if you have some small pits fill them with Araldite (original not fast).

• Who's Online (See full list)