Mikuni CV carb problem

drewv
This post is 3510 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Both sets of Mikuni CV carbs on both TDMs leak - hook up start the engine & fuel starts to drip out of the overflow withing a minute or two,

have changed float valves with 0% sucess in solving the problem both floats move freely & carbs have been cleaned

have crudely adjusted float heights again with 0% sucess

what ever is done seems to make no difference at all - now it's a pain in the ar*e connecting then disconnecting every time so here's the question and don't shoot me down if it's idiotic, carbs are a feckin mystery to me

can I measure the float height with the carbs off the bike ? Now I've tried the tilt and measure method and just can't see clearly when the valve just closes and no more so my thought was tubing from the drain marked up in mm, a remote suply direct to the carbs then I can have them on the workbench with a fuel suply and be able to measure the heights as per the manual.

would this work if not why not ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

One thing that occurs to me is have you checked the seating on the inlet side? It's just that the rubber on the end of the small spike (cannot for the life of me remember it's name) sometimes gets compressed to the point that it let's fuel past or the seating can wear and let fuel through, just my thoughts on it you understand, may not be the float height at all is what I'm thinking, you can get replacements if that's the problem in a carb refurb kit. :jossun:

PS looked it up "VALVE FLOAT" (needle) perhaps?

What you want to do will work ,even if I know the float height is set correct I alwasy bench test the carbs befor installing try to duplicate the same angle they fit/sit at on the bike. And use the gas tank set on a bench above the carbs so you are getting the same fuel supply and weight of fuel

But a slice said it could be that the float needle and seat are worn out any signs of wear some are viton tiped others are just steel so look very closely at the tip of the needle if you can see wear then replace them with genuine parts some of the copy stuff is crap and will leak worse.

EDIT just re read your post skip the last part as you changed them unless you used copy parts

DOH !!! Remind self to read the post before putting foot in mouth, OH FFS !!!!