125 dragstar fuel guage ?

HarleyJay
This post is 3552 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you can't see a fuel gauge on the clocks, chances are it doesn't have one.

I've only ever had one bike with a fuel gauge and not having one has never been a problem. Find out how far you can go from full to reserve using the trip meter and reset it every time you fill up.

I thought that they only started to put fuels gauges on bikes when they went to fuel injection because they don't like running dry. All carburettor fed bikes that I have owned, including my present XVS650, have never had a gauge only a reserve fuel supply.

FJ1200 - Fuel gauge and electric reserve!!

Might have had the same on the FJ1100, which is from 1978!!

IIRC the only bike I have had a fuel gauge on was the XJ600, as already said use the trip meter each time you fill up, and the mark one eyeball peering through the filler while sploshing the tank also works.

My XJ 82 has a gauge so at least the last 32 years they have been putting them on bikes plus I seem to remember that one of the old Brit bikes had a plastic tube attached to 2 nipples on the side at the front of the tank so you could see what fuel you had left, bit daft really as they fell off or go cut and the fuel drained out. Might have been the BSA Bantam but could be wrong and that was in the 1950s. :jossun:

Thanks for the replay lads. I've never had or rode a bike before now so I'm a complete newbie to all this.

So when I fill up my tank will that automatically fill into my reserve tank or do I need to switch to fill ?

have a look at the plate behind your fuel tap, you may see it has OFF / RUN / RES positions ???

Set to OFF every time the bike is not in use

The tank holds 11 litres including reserve

Set to RUN when you have enough fuel in the tank

If the engine starts to splutter / die, set to RES you have 3.4 litres left so get her filled up

I'm not sure about your specific bike, but it's usually just the bottom of the tank. Another reason not to run on reserve a lot... you get debris from the bottom of the tank.

The 125 draggy has no fuel gauge as said above. I personally like the whole open the fuel cap and eye ball whats in side job. there is no resurve tank on the bike just one big tank and the fuel tape with the on/off/res switch has two tubes inside, one long one which is the main fuel (on switch) and one short tube which is the res switch.

When the fuel goes below the main fuel line it starts to loose power, cough, splutter and makes you look like a complete twat trying to ride one handed and switch to res before she dies on you. IIRC i used to get about 100 miles before having to go on res.

REMEMBER: When you fill up from having used Reserve, turn the tap back to On before riding away!!

It works like this:

reserve.jpg

Silly artist cannot spell 'Drawn', but the idea is correct.

One other mark you may have on your fuel tap is 'PRI', which is short for Prime.
If ever you run out of fuel, or run pretty darn low, you must switch it to Prime when you fill up and first start it again.

REMEMBER: When you fill up from having used Reserve, turn the tap back to On before riding away!!

Practice switching the tap from On to Res.
Sit there on the bike, hold it upright and keep reaching down to memorise the location. Then repeat, while actually turning the tap. Know which way to turn it.

This way, when all the other bikers start flustering when they hit reserve, you'll just reach down and flip it. Takes 2-3 seconds. You'll also be watching your odometer, so will know to expect it some time around the 100 mile mark.

That diagram clears it right up or me, cheers guys. When I fill up I'll do the whole tracking miles thing at least that way I know when to expect to change to reserve

When you're approaching about 100 miles, try and keep your riding close to a fuel station. You should usually expect to get 15-20 more miles on Reserve.

and in case you missed it:

• Like 3

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online