rxs 100 crank seal

nicketynoo
This post is 3704 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

Ive recently bought a very low mileage 1989 rxs100 and have only ridden it less than 1/2 a mile but it seemed a bit sluggish. I've found the airbox has been butchered to fit a cone filter and holes drilled all over it. ( looking for a complete 1 if anyone has ) The carb however hasn't been jetted to suit as its still running a standard 120 main.

The main issue I've got is I've dropped the gearbox oil and its full of fuel!. I take it the reason will be the right hand crank seal ? I've stripped this out and a new 1 is on its way. I've stripped the left hand casings off and theres no sign of fuel behind the flywheel. Can I take it this side seal is ok. I'm thinking of just replacing the right hand seal and seeing how it goes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If the gearbox is full of fuel, is there any chance the carb float valve is passing and fuel enters the crankcase constantly , given that the petrol tap is passing or switched on?

Also check the fuel overflow tubing is not raised up higher than the spigot it attaches to, or crimped/blocked

Yeh " the crank sucks gearoil -R/H/ and sucks air L/H when seals are goosed, i would change both , then fill gearbox to correct level . then monitor the situation , as some clown might have contaminated the oil, misleading you :eusa_think:

Thanks for the replies I will change the left hand seal at the same time. Kev I have still got the engine in the frame and to check the mains I'd have to split the cases. I'm pretty sure they're ok though. This engine has only done 3.5k and I reckon the seal has gone due to standing so long without being used. The fuel definitely hasn't come from the carb flooding and so flooding the crankcase.

Thanks again Nick

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online