1976 carb on a 1975 DT 175 bike. Possible?

This post is 3551 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

After a lot of tinkering, I realized that my DT175 it came with a carb from a DT100

I am not sure what the effect would be on my bike since I have not been able to ride it properly yet.

I am looking for a DT175 carb but all I find on ebay is 1976 and newer.

Is it possible to use a 1976 carb on my 1975 bike?

According to the VIN number I have a DT175B

Thank you for the help

Alex

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Yes you should beable use a 76 carb on a 75 bike, but there could be differences, My 76 bike has a stub pipe on the inlet tract, this is for the oil pump delivery connection, earlier bikes have a ‘banjo pipe’ connection in the side of the intake tract on the cylinder (jug)

see the bad pic below the oil pipe is the one in the middle near the bottom of the intake,

69711_3354956931544_1721189913_n.jpg

in the second picture you can see the old oil feed location in the casting on my bike a later bike its not used,

578940_3354957291553_1858295083_n.jpg

I cannot think of any other differences,

I may have misunderstood your question, but only ignore the oil pump delivery if you're not using the oil pump. I used the banjo bolt on my 1976 with a carb that doesn't have the inlet pipe. Alternatively, you could use the carb inlet for oil delivery and block off the banjo bolt one. How's that? Clear as mud? :)

• Like 1

Hi

As Sacha said if you are using the oil injection system (I recommend keeping the oil pump and not running on pre mixing oil into the petrol) you can use either, just block off the one you don't use as it will allow extra air into the motor and that would cause trouble.

• Like 1

I was about to buy a new 76 carb but there was one thing I wanted to try first.

The little knob protruding inside the carb that makes the valve go straight up and down was pretty recessed, I had a feeling that the valve was twisting inside after putting it together.

Well, i pushed the small ball from the outside and it came through on the inside of the carb.

After that, I placed the valve again, close the carb installed it on the bike and it runs.

I am not sure if the little ball will recess again though.

Has somebody experience something like this before?

PS: I have to say that for somebody that never touched an engine before, this has been a great exercise that brought a lot of pleasure. Thank you to everybody on this forum that pushed me to get my hands greasy

Hi Alex

Do you mean that on the outside of the carburettor body there is a steel dowel / ball that is the 'throttle slide' guide if so I have never seen that before,

is it shown on my first pic just under the 'MIK' logo on the carb?

If it is and it will not stay in position and looks are not too important you could mix some 'araldite' glue or similar and put it on the outside of the carb to stop the guide from moving out of position,

Or if you are a bit adept with a hammer and a punch, very carefully re-peen some of the aluminium carb body around the ball/dowel to keep it in place, but this is not for the faint hearted as it will be sooooo easy to damage the carb if you try this you would have to have the carb off the bike it would have to be fully stripped and the inside of the body of the carb would need to be well supported to help prevent it from getting squashed, but this would be something I would only try as a bit of a last resort,