Paranoid??

Sir Tom Jones
This post is 6772 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

<_< Last week a mate came round and helped me to put in new brakes in my thundercat and also showed me how to adjust my chain (no im not a lady only wear the skirt in the house :P ) only bit new to the motorbike thingy.Anyway we went off for a short ride from Lowestoft to Peterboro sat just gone and i was paranoid as the bike was not as smooth or handling as it used to even thought did i tighten up that rear axle nut you know like when you go off on holiday and think did i turn the cooker off etc.This was doing me all day even stopped on the way as i thought i could smell burning.Mate convinced me that it was all in my head anyway we got to TAZ motorcycles and spent £5 on a neck warmer and then headed home.Next morning i thought bugger this im gonna check it out and the chain had got that tight it only had 7mm play hence the poor handling etc so i redone this and took her out for a blast and she better than ever.The moral of the story check it and then check it again for piece of mind or pick your friends better :D

Come on sunshine we are waiting

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

howde. i know what you mean!! i always get paranoid after doing some work, but i really do check and re-check everything so i don't as much anymore. taz motorcycles is a good shop. large range of bike ive been there a few times. have u been to hein gericke and inffinity motorcycles in petaborough?? very good shops i used to got here a lot during sales time!

glad u got it sorted!

It pays to dbl check everything.......& with chain adjustments, you'll be able to do 'em in your sleep after you get the feel for it. ;)

Until then, take a quick test ride after everytime you turn a spanner on your bike......

If for anything......just some piece of mind. :)

Great to hear you sorted the prob......always feels good when that happens. :thumb:

agreed...a quick spin around the block just to feel things out. an overtight chain will affect almost everything... in a bad way... i remember i overtightened a chain once, and it actually slowed the bike down, shop the throttle, and it was like having another brake working somewhere. not to mention it is bad for bearings, seals, shafts, and machined surfaces. chain adjustments are really nothing when you get used to the process for your machine... it's about a 5 minute job on my zook, and about 10 minutes on the kawi... the yamaha doesn't have a chain to adjust at this time. i don't let other people touch my bikes... i do alll the work myself (thus far i have not had to bring it to a shop... but that would be a liscensed mechanic/technician, so i'd have some faith in their abilities). i just find that a good policy... if something is messed up, i only have myself to blame.

Thanks all for your words of wisdom i have now invested in a HAYNES manual and will be pulling a few bits off the bike this weekend so i can get some bits anodised to make it look abit more tidyer wont cost me a penny as thats what i do in my job :D

As for the shops in Pboro no i havent yet only went up for a ride out stopped for 30mins then headed back before it got dark as both me and mate had dark visors.But will be going up again when the suns out if anyone is in the area and fancies a burger,pint.

• Admin

As Pete said find the tight spot first B)

I remember setting mine perfect to wheel it forward and it was pished again! You learn from it and of course always double check your double checking!!

Just glad it didnt snap on you :o

And you know what you and your mate did wrong? You didn't find the tight spot on the chain before adjusting!

Find the tightest spot....and make your adjustments at that point!

Yeh i think you are right i thought it might have been the fact that we had done the chain while using one of those ABBA stands instead of the side stand but this proved worng as i done it on my own with the ABBA and its great so it must have been the fact we done it a a loose part. Arent those ABBA stands great its my mates but he said i can have it as he now has a centre stand so it only cost me £6 for the kit to fit my cat. :D

Apart from saying that I agree with all the above, here is another piece of hard earned wisdom, don't trust the adjuster marks on the swinging arm on any bike. Make sure your wheels are in line to start with and from then on only adjust the wheel by turning the adjusters an equal amount on each side. That may sound obvious but if you only rely on the marks stamped onto the swinging arm and they are not spot on (and they are not all spot on, believe me!) then you will be putting your rear wheel out of line. Not beneficial for good handling!

Andy

• Admin

Wise words there Andy i realised that when i rebuilt my old bike :unsure:

Apart from saying that I agree with all the above, here is another piece of hard earned wisdom, don't trust the adjuster marks on the swinging arm on any bike. Make sure your wheels are in line to start with and from then on only adjust the wheel by turning the adjusters an equal amount on each side. That may sound obvious but if you only rely on the marks stamped onto the swinging arm and they are not spot on (and they are not all spot on, believe me!) then you will be putting your rear wheel out of line. Not beneficial for good handling!

Andy

I better go check my rear wheel alignment then.... :o

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online