DT175MX Owner again

ajl124
This post is 3712 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all been lurking round here for a while now and think it's time to introduce myself.

Located in Cheshire not far from J16 M6.

Had a few Yams started on a M reg Fizzy in 78 then a very brief 6 weeks with a Superdream ( long story) Sold that and bought a DT 175MX T reg.

Sold that and graduated into cars, college etc.

Found my way back into bikes in the 80's and bought a DT again to race in enduro style events in the late 80's down in Coventry. They were on a short circuit but did last for 2 hours.

Put that bike back to standard minus indicators and sold it.

Later I had a TRX850 from new and sold it a couple of years ago after my wife dropped a hint.

That was a really nice bike with carbon Microns and R1 front brakes.

Sold it and bought a Westfield kitcar which I use on track days and spirited drives !

Anyway had the urge to revisit my youth again not to go quite as far back as a Fizzy but to a DT.

So I have found myself after a bit of searching an early white/red and black S reg 13000 miles ,complete with clocks , indicators, original front and rear mudguards and seat strap !

I'm not sure if I will do a concours type restoration or just a really nice job, new paint etc but not to get too hung up about all the really fine concours detail.

Progress so far is :

It starts, runs , has 6 gears, lights work, oil pump works, in fact if the forks were re-chromed and new seals fitted, I think it would pass an MOT, so I'm pleased.

Just received a load of parts from Yambits.

One question which you may be able to help with.

The voltage regulator is located on the LHS below the airbox with a yellow wire coming out of it.

Question . Should the regulator be earthed by a separate wire coming off one of the fixing screws?

Will keep you posted of progress.

BTW. This is another project I did about 12 years ago and still going strong.

http://124sportspider.com/_/Homepage.html

Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Great intro Andy, not much left out there fella

wow the Fiat is a stunner, I can see the DTMX is going to be very smart too now

yeah the regulator is mounted on a plastic battery box? so a short black wire with a ring terminal around the mounting screw is the way forward

:welcome:

Thanks for the kind words Airhead.

Yes the Fiat still turns heads.

Will make up a suitable lead and fit.

What is current thinking regarding frame finish - paint or powder coat ?

My thoughts are powder coating is a bit hit and miss quality wise.

Westfields have a lot of problems with shelling off and corrosion setting in.

Andy

Yeah you could give lessons on INTROS Andy, Welcome to the YOC. :wavey:

Thanks for the comments , the words just kept coming last night.

More progress tonight.

Earth lead fitted from voltage regulator and now the lighting voltage at the headlamp is down from 10 v ac to 6.8 v ac.

Pleased with that.

Andy

:welcome:

:wavey: welcome aboard! Sounds like you'll have her done in no time. :thumb: looking forward to pics.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online