XVS650 Headlamp/rear light slide switch problemo

sentiant
This post is 3713 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks, not been on for quite sometime but now I need to bend your ears. Following another successful mot my Draggy is having issues with the sliding switch that controls the headlamp and rear light. The bulb is new and connections are clean and tight, the sliding switch however can be quite tough to slide across. The outcome of this is i have to spend some time finding the balance so the headlamp is on as well as the rear light. As i slide the switch across it seems to swap between having one or the other on until i find the "sweet spot" where they are both on, it will stay like this until I turn it off again.

Question is, would i have to replace the whole handle part or is it just some innards that need fixing.replacing.

Thanks for your time folks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like dirty connections inside the switch.
I'd suggest taking the right control cluster apart, disassembling the switch as far as you are able/comfortable and making sure the contacts have no dirt or corrosion on them.

Thanks for getting back to me, control cluster (i was trying to think what to call it :icon_cheesygrin: ) ill whip it off and have a look inside, should i spray some wd40 on the innards or may that make things worse?

WD40 may help if you have corrosion to scrub off the contacts.

However, it does tend to attract dirt, grit and general crap, which will only gum up the innards further.

Instead, I'd recommend some graphite grease spray. This does the opposite and actually helps drive fouling crap out of mechanisms. Any decent locksmith will use this instead of WD40, for that exact reason.

Just be aware that it can be a little messy when you first work the freshly lubed controls back and forth. Keep a rag or something handy.

If you still have dramas after you clean it all i have my old switch gear if you want it?

The graphite spray, can I get that at most mechanical supply stores? I've got a premier supply store around d the corner.

Thanks noise, I won't get a chance to look at it till weekend but will keep you in mind.

The graphite spray, can I get that at most mechanical supply stores?

Might do. Probably have more luck in the General Hardware places like Drews, Wickes or maybe B&Q.

It's primarily used for things like locks, rather than automotive.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online