1984 XJ900 vs 1996 xj600

Noise
This post is 3739 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey folks,

After a little info really. Im picking up the xj600 on saturday and am just waiting on the haynes manual for it ready to get stuck in. But my mate at work has a 1984 pre diversion XJ900 which he needs me to change the barrels on it due to him snapping part of the exhaust out let when he was taking the nut off the exhaust stud.

Now my question is this. Is the basic things like getting the pistons ti TDC on the 900 the same as the 600 and the same with setting the timing on the cams?

Reason i ask is that he has no manual and im not forking out for one nor is he as he only has £150 spare for me to get it done.

O and he wants it done by next Friday.

Thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes it's the same set the eng at tdc and find the reference marks on the cams before you pull them out. Checking the valve clearence before pulling them out is a good idea as well so if it needs a valve adjust now is the time to do it.

As above mate, just line up the TDC mark on the rotor then the 2 marks on the cams, inlet and exhaust and bob's your uncle.

Spot on cheers lads.

Other thing im thinking is could i stick 900 barrels and heads onto a 600 bottom end?? Will check that one out in due time tho.

You "MIGHT" get away with a 750 set of barrels but 900s are a step to far I think as the stroke will not be enough to work correctly, although the engines look the same externally I think you will find that the crank range (up & down) will be the major problem, you had best check what the throw on the crank is before you start anything.

• Like 1

Cool, i will look into that.

See it is good to be a member of a forum haha.

Whats the best way to check the stroke then? any tips?

Should say on the TECH SPEC sheet that most bikes have in the manual (oh you don't have one, bugger !!) best try the net to see if you can get anything for free but usually under BORE & STROKE (don't tell Foamy about that he will get excited before he reaches the end) then compare the overall stroke on the 2 different bikes to see if they fall into the same amounts if not your wasting your time mate.

PS you could try looking at the difference between BDC and TDC that will give you an accurate measurement of the amount of throw you have. F++king difficult to measure without some really special kit I'm afraid as you need measurements in the micron range.

Pretty sure if you measure the distance between head studs you will see they are different on all 3 motors,as the bore increaces the farther appart they are. for sure the 900 will be. and if the 750 is the same then you would need the crank as they stroked the motor and then it would have to fit in the cases not worth the hassel

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online