Brake Callipers and Master Cyilnders

yamy
This post is 3634 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Can anyone shed some light on whether calipers and master cylinders are interchangeable, I have a 1984 Yamaha XJ750 (import) frame number 41Y, I got this over 2 years ago having last been MOT'd or on the road in 2005. It's not in bad order runs etc However Brakes were drained, god knows for how long ago and all Callipers and Cylinders are seized, I had been told that this particular model was basically a XJ900 with a 750 lump, so started with the rear brake, got a calliper off a 900 which is identical to the one I removed but the mounting bolts off mine are to big, which isn't to much bother as I'll just get smaller bolts, but the rear master cylinder is u/s so need to change it, My question being, are brakes and master cylinders interchangeable off the XJ range, I have been looking on the likes of Ebay but nothing listed for my particular bike however there are cylinders that look identical but from different models. Can anyone shed any light as to whether they will fit and more importantly work, no doubt will have to do the same with the front bakes as well. I appreciate this is a bit long winded but would be grateful for any advice.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yam usually order sets of peripheral items like calipers in big batches so its more than likely that bikes from a similar age will share common items like that.

eg RD stuff will fit XS range

get the vendors to measure for you before you purchase to make sure

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online