1976 Yamaha DT400 Starting Issue

This post is 3605 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, friends.

First off I'm new to the forum and it is a pleasure to be part of the Yamaha community at last! I have wanted a Yamaha for a long time and I have finally come across a beautiful 1976 Yamaha DT400 which, after cleaning up the last owners messes in it, runs like a dream.

.. after breaking my legs on the kick start.

Once running, it putts along just fine. clean carb, new spark plug, fresh oil and gasoline, and cleaned the tank filter as well. Lights all work. Just need a new relay for the hazards. But the true issue right now is kicking her over. It takes an awful lot of kicking to get her started and I'm in a bit of confusion over it.

Is there something I'm missing? I was told points would be the next issue bit I would lile to know other possibilities before I dive in.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi jonny " :welcome: , nice into, anyway , not be points , as they"re CDI, could be low compression . how many miles on her,

Another trait is the automatic decompressor. [ located at front of barrel] thers a cable on it, i disconnected mine, as it was better to start this way, i would pull the head & barrel . see whats in there, :yeah:

I actually gave the wrong year I found out. It is a 1975. Compression is good. After warming up she starts after 1st or second kick every time. I have a feeling it is a maladjusted needle valve, considering that she leaks gasoline if I forget to shut off the fuel line.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online