DT400 queries

shoggoth80
This post is 6635 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

anyone ever use a oil pump block off plate on this model? results? does anyone know if the compression release is a necessity with this model? never messed with either of these mods before, don't even know if the compression release bypass is possible. help?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The oil pump block off mod is a common 1 on RD's......pretty sure it'd be the same for a DT. :unsure:

Just gotta make sure NOT to pre-mix too lean though.

If memory serves me correctly......the compression release is nothing more that a spring-loaded purge valve in the cylinder head......this can be threaded out & replaced with something as simple as a spare spark plug, or some other threaded plug the correct size. ;)

The oil pump block off mod is a common 1 on RD's......pretty sure it'd be the same for a DT. :unsure:

Just gotta make sure NOT to pre-mix too lean though.

I was thinking of premixing somewhere between 30:1 and 40:1, using a full syntheitc (motul, belray or redline) 2 stroke oil. or MAYBE the semi synthetic yamalube. since i plan to make a tracker, well, i think that having a tank spout somewhere would mess up the minimalistic lines of the bike; i can also keep gas in my garage, and have it premixed and ready to go. and since this machine would be around town, or at the most, a short trip, carrying correctly measured amounts of oil for a tank full of gas shouldn't be much of a worry.

speaking of fuel... anyone know the approximate MPG of a DT400, or a YZ400? a ball park figure is fine, since i am sure that my mileage won't be so hot... last time i checked the kawi triple i was getting like 16mpg or something like that....!!

I think your premix ratio's are right in the ballpark there Shaggoth ;)

As far as mileage.....16mpg!...you must have that beast jetted pretty Fat? :huh:

I'm pretty sure you could get @ least 20mpg out of a DT......but probably due to a bigger carb, the YZ might be a different story. ;)

i think the tripe will be getting a bit better mileage now, since i readjusted the carb settings. i am running size 25 idle jets (stock was 22), and 95 mains (stock was 62.5), and now the carb needle is in the second to bottom position, whereas the last time i put any serious distance on it, it was in the bottom! i was just trying to get a ballpark range for the yamaha mileage so i'd know whether to carry oil on me or not, or whether i should pack extra fuel like you would in bikepacking.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online