DT175 Magneto Question

Chunche
This post is 3749 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

I did a search on this topic but couldn't find a definitive answer. From what I've read there were different versions of the DT175 as far as wiring from the magneto to the CDI (a 5 wire and a 7 wire). Question is, could I simply switch the magneto unit between motors?

A little backstory -- I was given a 1980 DT175 from a family member that had been sitting. It ended up needing a new cylinder/piston and instead I bought an entire running motor off ebay. After putting the motor in, I noticed it had less wires coming from the magneto than the motor I took out. Which led me to some google sluething and this website, where I've found some great info on the electrical systems for the DT175. So rather than purchasing a different CDI (which is what I think I would need?), I'm hoping I can combine the parts currently in my basement to get the electrical squared away.

I hope that all makes sense, I'm fine with the mechanical components of engines but start talking electrical and I'm quickly lost.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ah, yup I missed that section, remedied now :).

I'll give switching the magneto's tomorrow. Not sure if that's the only part I'll have to switch between the bikes, but I'm sure I'll figure it out when I get them apart.

It is the only part.

Swap the electrics across from the blowm motor.

Thats the base plate (stator) with the coils and the rotor.

Soooo I got the magneto and stator out of both, but the woodruff key is sheared in the motor I'm trying to use. So tomorrow night's project will be attempting to remove what's left of the sheared key and ordering a new one.

I'm going to pick up a torque wrench to make sure it's tightened correctly as well. I've needed one for a while anyways, this is a good excuse to buy a new tool :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online