My New XVS 1100 Custom

Motorhate
This post is 3748 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought an XVS1100 yesterday and rode it home (110 miles). Bike looked OK and I checked it over quite well. There's wear on the front and rear discs but this was factored into the price. However, I noticed that the steering is very heavy at slow speeds and braking is pretty sluggish too. I'm just wondering if this is normal for these bikes (the largest bike i'd ridden previously was an FZ750).

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Braking will be noticably slower on a Cruiser compared to nore nippy bikes, yes. Cruisers are still big-ass heavy bastards and you have, at best, a pair of twin-pot calipers.

It's always worth stripping them down and rebuilding them, though, just to be sure. Re-bleeding with fresh fluid, putting on sintered pads and changing to braided brake lines will all help.

Steering should not feel overly heavy, although Cruisers are still big-ass heavy bastards. Check your tyre pressures, anyway.

Go to the manufacturer's website, find your exact bike and the exact tyre to see what pressures they've designed it to be, rather than using the Yamaha manual, though.

Congratulations on buying a damn fine machine!!

Just remember to really look after it ;)

Thanks Ttaskmaster, that's really helpful. I'll probably take it for a service anyway as it looks like it hasn't been serviced in a while. Brake fluid and oil levels were really low.

This is the beast in question

14414006745_0ecfab39b0_z.jpg

14412860854_29ea6a9d77_z.jpg

I'm glad to report them wavy stickers have now been removed.

My XVS1300 steered like a bus compared to my Fazer...

Nice looking bike :thumb:

Im with tout, your forks have been racked out so your steering will be heavy and sluggish plus your turning circle will be the same as a cruse ship.

Brakes on these bikes are a bit like chucking a brick on a string off the back so good advanced progressive braking is best.

I must admit it was a little scary bombing down the M1 and hitting the brakes only to find they were almost non-existant compared to the Honda. I've checked the discs too and there's a lot of wear, I can also feel them wobble when braking at low speed so looks like they'll need to be replaced. Not cheap either which is a pain. Oil light keeps coming on even though I've thrown in nearly 3.5 litres of engine oil too. I can't complain because I got it for a bargain price. Oh and Clarke, you're right about the steering, its great in a straight line but its heavy on corners and slow speed manoeuvres. Sounds absolutely amazing though with the straight through pipes.

Oil pump failure??

The oil light is permanently on, both at idling and high revs. I checked online and have confirmed that the oil light is a level indicator only, not a pressure gauge so on that reasoning, I rode into work (12 miles today) and there were no issues, so I'm assuming this is either a faulty sensor or loose connection somewhere. I'm getting it serviced today so will get them to check that out.

I paid just over 2 grand for the bike, which I thought was a bargain price. The brakes definitely need doing and it could also do with a service but even on that basis I think its a bargain.

That is a bargin!

But definatly get it serviced i learned that one the hard way :eusa_whistle:

Well, dropped it in yesterday morning and here's the breakdown of whats what:

Braided brake cables are too short, they need to be replaced with longer cables

Exhaust gasket was ill fitting due to the pipes not marrying up properly with the engine. Its better now, but there's still a small gap.

Rear brake pedal doesn't return freely due to the exhaust, so that's gonna be sorted

Both front discs need replacing, they're worn and one is warped (although the pads are OK)

Throttle is a bit sticky so that needs looking at

Oil light coming on (they think) is down to the relay but as its only an level indicator, they recommend by-passing it.

Front tyre needs replacing as its got hardly and tread left and it had the incorrect pressure in it which was causing the heavy steering

Needs a full service too.

Not sure how much it'll cost but it'll probably end up balancing up the cost of a second-hand XVS1100.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online