XT 660X high octane fuel

Tango660
This post is 3740 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

New member so go easy on me.

Does experts know if I can safely run my XT660X on high Octane fuel please ( Shell).

Thanks

Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Er High octane ? I thought it was just a standard 97 octane with no Ethanol in it, might be wrong but that does not make it high octane just higher than normal run of the mill ethanol 5%-10% crap that is out there. And YES you can run your bike on the higher octane fuel mate.

Anyway nice of you to join us Andy, Welcome to the YOC, it's usual to do an INTRO in the new members section before you ask a question, just so we get to know about you a bit, as we get A LOT of one hit wonders on here who want advice then are never heard from again, not saying that's you just be nice if you said Hi first. :jossun:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Slice,

Thanks for the reply to my rather badly worded question. I did it on my smart phone and it's a bit of a challenge, but ticking off excepted and I apologise for my rudeness and not following the site protocol.

I am not a petrol expert but my brother told me that the the 97 Octane stuff makes his 70's SR500 run better. As my bike is the updated version of that Engine but with four valves and it appears a rubbishy fuel injection system. I thought I would ask the experts (other owners) for a second opinion, or save wasting money, as it is 7p a litre dearer.

I am having problems with rough running in first gear at low speed when stop start riding and the occasional engine stall when dropping from 3rd gear to second gear, which tends to happen when slowing suddenly from higher gears.The clutch was my suspicion but I got a mechanic to check it but it made no difference. both these things were mentioned by MCN on a test. But with no resolution mentioned. Therefore the petrol was a cheaper option if it helped the rough running but the other one is more of a concern. I did some online digging about it, and seems i am not alone with these issues on this model/age XT660. As you were the only person that replied I will have to live with it I think. Or sell the bike for a sensible one.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :0)

Your brothers bike would without doubt run better using super unleaded, as its known in the uk

To the best of my knowledge, no super unleaded contains ethanol

Ethanol in bikes manufactured before the early noughties is a known problem, as the machines were not designed to run using it

Search the net for more info

HI Tango, first not telling you off mate just a quick heads up on how the site works and it's always nice to have new folks join in, as above the SUPER UNLEADED is supposed to be Ethanol free and that will probably be your best fuel but if someone else has been running your bike on the cheap old crappy fuel they might have damaged the internals of your fuel system, might be an idea to whip it off and give it a good clean and refurb to see if you can spot any damage to the seals or internals, then you might get the bike you want, hope some of that helps. :jossun:

Hi Slice,

Thanks for the reply to my rather badly worded question. I did it on my smart phone and it's a bit of a challenge, but ticking off excepted and I apologise for my rudeness and not following the site protocol.

I am not a petrol expert but my brother told me that the the 97 Octane stuff makes his 70's SR500 run better. As my bike is the updated version of that Engine but with four valves and it appears a rubbishy fuel injection system. I thought I would ask the experts (other owners) for a second opinion, or save wasting money, as it is 7p a litre dearer.

I am having problems with rough running in first gear at low speed when stop start riding and the occasional engine stall when dropping from 3rd gear to second gear, which tends to happen when slowing suddenly from higher gears.The clutch was my suspicion but I got a mechanic to check it but it made no difference. both these things were mentioned by MCN on a test. But with no resolution mentioned. Therefore the petrol was a cheaper option if it helped the rough running but the other one is more of a concern. I did some online digging about it, and seems i am not alone with these issues on this model/age XT660. As you were the only person that replied I will have to live with it I think. Or sell the bike for a sensible one.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :0)

this is a similar problem i am having i have the 2004 model it had the recall on the throttle thing it cuts out from 3rd to 2nd and sometime 1st quite embarrassing on a bike so heavy i love the xt its my first full fledge road bike i used to trail ride on a xr250 and ktm :) but due to back problems i have to give up so here i am lovely bike but a few grudges. May i also note i intend to use this as a work bike (courier) so i need reliability mainly the reason i purchased it. Should convert back to ktm and get the LC4 any help appreciated :)

Dan

KTMexc200