Any Ideas ?

gaerc
This post is 3757 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All,

I have a 1979 DT 175 I need help with..It has1800 origional miles..Heres situation.

When I got It it had sat for quite awhile. So I

Cleaned gas tank

cleaned petcock

rebuilt carb

It had nice fat blue spark

It started right up Idled for a bit when I started increasing rpm,s it started bogging out then finally die.

It would start eratticaly a sometimess run for sveral minutes but always die.Sometimes id prime cylender with no avail. I figured it was the oil seals and so I did the following.

Honed cylinder

new rings

new oil seals

new gaskets thruout

kick start spring

tested coils under flywheel ( currently have fat blue spark)

assembled engine with torque wrench Did a leak down test (it passed fine)

New fuel

new fuel line with inline filter

After completion of above work..She fired right up Ideled nice increased rpm,s a 1/4 throttle twice.for a total runtime of several minutes..Went to increase rpm,s again..and it started bogging like it did when I got it.

Im definetly missing the problem..If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it..

Thank You

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi mate.

Are you running this with the air filters and exhaust on?

Will she rev properly with the choke on?

When you "re-built" the carbs did you actually clean them or did you just have to put them together? reason i ask is that you may have a blocked main jet in the carbs which isn't letting in enough fuel to make her rev, and IIRC on idle this is only done with the pilot jets (so if they are clean it will idle nice) then when you rev it, it then switches over to the main jets which if they are blocked your have more air than fuel thus it will bog down and die.

Hope this helps at all?

+1

The main jet could be loose, ethanol damage could have increased the bore. Needle jet/emulsion tube issues as well.

You mention all gaskets, crank seals?

Hi Guys

I appreciate the input..Ill answer best I can

Im running with exshaust and air filter.

When starting I use choke but when it starts to bog down I try it with and without choke,,,no difference.

On carb cleaning...I cleaned the carb thourly.I made sure every passage was blown out with carb cleaner as well as every jet.

ethanol sucks lol

petcock screen is clean ,,I used clear fuel line and new inline filter ( i use clear line so i can glance and see if im getting fuel to carb.)

Im not sure about main jet bore size...It is possible I wonder with that in mind why sometimes it wont start at all ...

Ill double check all this for sure ...

you guys are great

thank you

Sounds like the carb to me but the only other thing is fit a new spark plug it could be breaking down!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online