Xvs650 making grinding noise in gear only

nick8788
This post is 3764 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys. Haven't posted for awhile but was riding the bike to work, when I went to take off the bike seemed like it popped into neutral so I put it back in. Got to another stop light and went to take off and it wouldn't move and was making a grinding sound while idling and in gear. No sound while in neutral. Now a shop said that it was the outer drive and I be better off grabbing a new engine off a pull yard So I put it on a trailer and took her home. Now looking at the outer drive since I got most the back end apart aside from the swing arm the drive looks just fine. I did pull the cover off and no broken teeth that I can see in there and the drive seems solid. So what could be the problem. If it's gonna require an engine rebuild I'll get an engine and swap them out for the time being and work on the original as I can. As it would make a great hands on to learn about these engines and to have as a spare in case anything happens in the future as the bike is my daily rider

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would look at the clutch ,,,actuator ,or pull the casing off ,, cheapest options first before splashing on a new engine,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online